Today

icemn62

Babbling Farker
Went to the store, bought a 40 lb bag of lump coal, BEST OF THE WEST, brand. Picked up 4 sausage rolls 2 hot, 2 mild. Next drove out to BBQ Galore and grabbed some Cherry and Apple Wood chunks as well as CALIFORNIA SEASONINGS, Ginger & Galic Marinade. Came home fired up the smoker using the coals. tossed in the fatties, while my Father is watching me, wondering the hell I am doing. My Mom, wanted me to grill some Burgers for them, so I fired up the gas grill and did the burgers, next came some Pork chops, then the wife asked for Carne Asada (sp?). the faimly is spread through out the house, content, sucking on their teeth and asking me for more whenever I walk through. They love the fatties, still trying to figure out how I do them. I am laughing listening to my wife explain the how to, for the folks. I need to remember to grab food for myself at times like this. I had to go throw some hot hinks on the smoker and hope it is still hot enough to at least warm them up. Tomorrow, I will be doind 4 7-bone roasts. I LOVE the smoker.

How was your day?

thanks.. now im hungry.

HA HA HA HA HA....

YOU got the Bug...... u aint never using your stove again.... Kitchen in the house is gonna become a place to STORE food and read the mail.

See what happens when ya hang out with Q-obsessed?

icemn62 said:
Went to the store, bought a 40 lb bag of lump coal, BEST OF THE WEST, brand. Picked up 4 sausage rolls 2 hot, 2 mild. Next drove out to BBQ Galore and grabbed some Cherry and Apple Wood chunks as well as CALIFORNIA SEASONINGS, Ginger & Galic Marinade. Came home fired up the smoker using the coals. tossed in the fatties, while my Father is watching me, wondering the hell I am doing. My Mom, wanted me to grill some Burgers for them, so I fired up the gas grill and did the burgers, next came some Pork chops, then the wife asked for Carne Asada (sp?). the faimly is spread through out the house, content, sucking on their teeth and asking me for more whenever I walk through. They love the fatties, still trying to figure out how I do them. I am laughing listening to my wife explain the how to, for the folks. I need to remember to grab food for myself at times like this. I had to go throw some hot hinks on the smoker and hope it is still hot enough to at least warm them up. Tomorrow, I will be doind 4 7-bone roasts. I LOVE the smoker.

How was your day?
Everything you're smoking sounds great! Would you mind sharing your Carne Asada recipe? My husband loves that and I'd like to make it for him. Nancy

BBQchef33 said:
YOU got the Bug...... u aint never using your stove again.... Kitchen in the house is gonna become a place to STORE food and read the mail.

See what happens when ya hang out with Q-obsessed?

Got the bug? I am already trying to think of what to smoke next weekend, and I have not even lit it up for the roast today. Don't want to get into the habit of doing the same things every time, then it would get boring. It may be time to do Chickens again, and I have to find something I can use the Other wood chunks on. I can not remember if it was the apply or the cherry I used for the fatties.

I want to make sure I understand the process correctly. I am going to put the roasts in the smoker until they get to interneal temp of 165 - 170. Going for medium well. then I wrap in foil and place in cooler for 2 hours or so. What Internal Temp am I looking for? and do I put them back in the smoker after?

icemn62 said:
I want to make sure I understand the process correctly. I am going to put the roasts in the smoker until they get to interneal temp of 165 - 170. Going for medium well. then I wrap in foil and place in cooler for 2 hours or so. What Internal Temp am I looking for? and do I put them back in the smoker after?
Woh... by 7-bone roasts are we talking PRIME RIB??? if so, why you turning it to shoe leather? Take it out at 125 and let it sit.

icemn62 said:
Icemn62,

My answer deleted--I misread the Farking Question :oops:

Oh Yeah--Ya got the bug now :D
Welcome to the Forum!
Enjoy,
TIM

kapndsl said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Enjoy,
TIM

So is the bug hereditary? Or maybe it's just a smoke borne virus. Recent studies have shown it to be highly contagious online, leading to further and further obsession, resulting in an ever present smoke smell, an increasing number of friends, and a wife who thinks yer crazy, but loves the food, and you, despite the fact you have passed the smoke smell onto the dogs....and the back yard, and the kitchen, and the house.....

I did my first 2 fatties this weekend, using the 3-2-1 method...needless to say, they will be short lived in the refrigerator and requests for more have started. I may just have to fire a couple up every week and wrap them up for friends....

Still working on ribs using the 3-2-1... Right now, the flavor is good, but I think since I am using full sized beef ribs, I need to increase my times, the meat is still clinging. Or maybe my little Brinkmann may just not be big enough.... After 2 attempts, I may pull back to spare ribs and see what I can do then. I swear I am going to perfect ribs before I move on to brisket. Frig smells like !, life's good!

I think the "bug" comes from the feeling we get when some takes a bite, and tells us how good the taste is, or maybe it is from when sitting down to eat, you don't hear talking. They are just EATTING everything you cooked. My family hates my cooking in the kitchen, but loves to see me go outside to light a fire.

I am already trying to think of what to smoke next weekend,
Try a pork loin, theres a links to a thread and a recipe in the "road map" thread that will tell you what you need to know. Awesome, totally awesome!!!

AND YOUR POINT BEING!!! :roll:

Stove?? Is that what you call that thing with the knobs that I boil water on? :?
Damn, you can cook on that? :shock: :shock:
May have to give it a shot........Nawww!! :twisted:

icemn62 said:

yeah.. what david said....

if your shootin for mediaum rare anything.. take it out at 125-130. I always go for medium, take them out at 130. Id its a prime rib roast, or beef roast.. or anyroast fpor that matter, I always roll it around on a HOT grill over the coals to finsih bringin it up to temp, then just let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing. I wouldnt foil it and cooler it cause it will just climb into the gray/no pink zone.. good for a brisket, but not a roast you want some pink in. Do a search for Prime rib in the qtalk forum. I have a few recipes and techniques i put up fairly recently.

JacksonsDad said:
kapndsl said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Enjoy,
TIM

Still working on ribs using the 3-2-1... Right now, the flavor is good, but I think since I am using full sized beef ribs, I need to increase my times, the meat is still clinging. Or maybe my little Brinkmann may just not be big enough.... After 2 attempts, I may pull back to spare ribs and see what I can do then. I swear I am going to perfect ribs before I move on to brisket. Frig smells like !, life's good!

beef ribs.. switch to 5-2 1... maybe even 6-2-1..

We call em dinosaur bones... take a long time, but damn good.

by 7-bone roasts are we talking PRIME RIB???

Unless i am mistaken, a 7 bone roast is more similar to a chuck roast in that it is a flat cut 1 1/2-2" thick. It has 7 chunks of bone in it. If that is the cut you are talking about search for chuck or chusck roast. A technique similar to brisket will be more what you are looking for.

I've never done a 7 bone roast but I did do a cross rib roast. I smoked it for 6 hours, foiled it and put it back in the smoker for another 2 hours. It was pulling tender when I did it. If you want to slice it, try foiling it after 4 hours instead. I don't know if there are any hard and fast rule for that particular cut so experiment and tell us about the results!

Okay cooked the meat, used no wood, the meat has good flavor. Did not use a spray bottle, since I have a water cooker, figured that wold "baste" the meat. Came out TOUGH. wrapped in foil, with different liquids put back in smoker. Took off smoker, and it is soooo tender. I have learned some things today. 1. SPRAY THE MEAT. the water pan may help to control the temp, but does notthing for keeping the meat moist. 2. BUY FOIL USE FOIL FOLLOW BRETHREN directions. I can go to the shoestore for shoe leather, I want great tasting meat. Things for the help, to everyone, especially Bigmsta who has been answering my Que questions all day today. time to sit back drink another beer, and reflect on what went right, and what went wrong. today.

OK, I am totally confused here :oops:
Maybe "Natural Lite Mod"- :lol:
Did we ever pin down the meat in question and the desired results?
I origonly posted a reply based on doing a roast/ butt/ brisket, etc.
Then it seemed we were doing "prime" beef to "medium well", so I pulled my post.
I have re-read the thread entirely too many times.
Now, I am not sure what meat was cooking, what the desired results were, and how to get them
Can someone clarify for me--or should I come back tomorrow!
Or maybe just get a good nights sleep and not worry about it :cry:
TIM

The meat was Chuck Roast, going for medium well. Desired results: Good tasting meat, juicy, pull from bone.

icemn62 said:
The meat was Chuck Roast, going for medium well. Desired results: Good tasting meat, juicy, pull from bone.
Thanks,
Got it now!
I guess I went astray with the "medium well" thingie :oops:
I can sleep well tonight :D

Shucks, I should have let my origonal post (a masterpiece, if I may say so) stand. :wink:

TIM

Back