Bandera Rescue

M

MX1

Well, as I stated in my intro post, I inherited an CharBroil Bandera style smoker. Below are the pictures of the pit as it stands now.

Over the next few weeks I will be fixing it up and getting it ready for Da'Q.

First thing will be to install a replacement door baffle to control the air flow, then to build / buy a fuel box. I would like to use wood / pellets / charcoal, and need to know if I must have anything special for the wood / coal box other than make sure there is enough airflow and that there is an ash pan?

After that I will install a heat baffle between the firebox and the tower then a chimney cap. Fire bricks will be installed as well, and I have a question about those...can I just use the rocks for gas grills?

Last I will repaint her and then I should be ready to burn.

Any help, ideas, or input will be most graciously accepted.

Tim

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 497
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 495
  • DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 500
Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, your fire box needs a removable bottom/ash pan. If you build a fire on that grate without one, the bottom of your fire box will be toast in short order. A fire brick lined bottom is common, but I recommend a removable bottom/ash pan elevated slightly. The space between it and the firebox bottom will serve to insulate.

Secondly, line the top and sides with some stainless steel sheet metal. Especially the top because that's where most of the heat is wasted. Here's pics of mine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I am in the process of looking for something to work as my fire box. I am having a hard time finding any kind of metal (sheet or expanded) that will work. I am now on the lookout for old grills that have been tossed to see if I can scavenge anything from them. I do plan on raising the charcoal / wood container up a few inches and raising the ash pan up off the bottom as well.

I did fab my heat baffle today from an aluminum stair tread and realized that another one trimmed down will work to replace the missing wind break from the firebox side door. I have to work the next two nights, but I hope to get those two items installed tomorrow.

Tim

Finished up the heat baffle, trimmed it down to make it fit better. Picked up the other piece of aluminum stair tread and started working on it, to replace the missing louver for the air flow control. Have it mostly done, just have to cut the slots in it, and while I was drilling pilot holed for my saw, I burned up my drill.

Dang, the luck! So it will be a few days before I can get back on this.

Tim

I can't give any advise, all I can do is wish you luck with the build out.

Can't wait to see the finished rebuild.

Well, more bad news.

I borrowed a drill to finish up the louver for the fire box, and after all was said and dome, it was UGLY.
I did a test fit, and forgot to account foe the slid back and forth when I figured the length. So the way it is now, there would always be a vent hole open. I will try for version 2.0 in a day or 2.

Also, not being able to find expanded steel to make a coal bin out of, can I just install a cooking grate for a temp fix. I can pick those up all over. I would get one wide enough to install on the grate rest inside the firebox, this should get it up enough for good air flow.

Tim

I just restored a Dera a few months ago.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54282

You CAN use a grate for the coal. The one you have now, looks like mine. If it is just like mine, and wide enough, you can take it out, flatten it out as much as possible, turn it upside down and slide it in on the bottom tabs on the fire box. That is how I am useing mine now, works great!

Also, New Braunfels used the same thing for the smoke chamber and fire box grill holders, ( tabs on the sides that hold the grills )that they used for the fire box vent louvers in the firebox door. ( when installed tabs stick through the door slots from the inside out )I think you could use those dimensions to make a template out of cardbord and test the piece befor fabricating the new one.

Good Luck! :wink:

Thanks for the heads up on the template idea, I will give it a look this week.

On payday i will pick up some paint and thermometers, I will also sand down the outside with my orbital before I give her some new skin.

Now just need to name her, and have the wife me me a stencil of the name....

Tim

go get our bandera 101 document for the stuff to build a firegrate.

home depot has sheet steel you can use to build the firebox damper.

do u need the template for the baffle?

why do u think u need a new firebox. that one looks like it just needs a wirewheel and paintjob.

Ahhh...if only

go get our bandera 101 document for the stuff to build a firegrate.

home depot has sheet steel you can use to build the firebox damper.

do u need the template for the baffle?

why do u think u need a new firebox. that one looks like it just needs a wirewheel and paintjob.

I have the 101, it has been a great help. I have already made the heat baffle to put between the firebox and the cook chamber.

Most people do not notice that I am in Brussels,Belgium and there are no HD or Lowe's to run to for stuff. The local home improvement stores do not carry near the stuff that the US ones do.

The only think left for me to make is the louver on the firebox door, I do not need a new fire box at all. I already have the stuff to prep the whole pit for a fresh coat of paint, and will pick up the paint next week after payday.

Hope this clears up where I am at in this project. Thanks for all the help and support.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife should be home in an hour or so with the paint, and thermo's.
I hope to work on this a bit more tomorrow, maybe get it sanded and painted.
I also am going to re-stain the wood.

THe firebox louver is done, but not done as well as it could be, but it will work for now.

I hope to have some pics up soon, and a cook shortly after that.

Tim

Wife made it home with the paint. No thermo's

Any one know where I can mail order some through the wall, digital thermo's to use?

I am not even sure where or how to search them out.

I will be sanding it down tonight, I hope, and then painting on Friday. We have rain in the forecast for Sat.

Thanks

Tim

Back