THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

brisket pit

Smoked with hickory wood...I used the secret ingredient...olive oil. Dip the wood in olive oil, and rub the ribs with olive oil before putting on the rub.

When it is done, I'll take pictures.

Interesting...never heard of anyone dipping the wood in oil. I would have thought that would cause flare-up's and white smoke.

Plus - olive oil is not cheap so I don't think I'd use it on the wood that was gonna be burned.

I've tried olive oil on ribs once before rubbing.. wasn't bad, but never tried it again.

looking forward to the pics !

This is bat chit crazy ness. The whole structure of olive oil changes when smoked and or burned. Olive oil is low heat and simmer only. chef skool 101

Took pictures...need to figure out how to upload them. The wife loved them. Think outside the box!

Took pictures...need to figure out how to upload them. The wife loved them. Think outside the box!

Click to post a reply
Scroll down to manage attachments Click
Add photos from computer in each line you need
Click browse to look for your pictures
go to the text box to post reply in
At the top there is a little paper clip
Click on it
post pictures :lol:

NOTE: If you click quote or quick reply you need to click "Go Advanced" to get to the manage attachments.

Hope that helps. Because remember no pron didn't happen.

While I don't quite understand the dipping of wood in olive oil then burning it, as long as you use light or lower grade olive oils, you would not get the rancid burning olive smoke. I am wondering what the smoke is like, since fat tends to burn dirty.

Why put oil on the ribs!:eek: I sure think that would clog the poures on the meat and not allow it to take in smoke. It would surely allow any creosote to stick to them. I'm not sure I'm a fan of that concept. :confused:

Also.....
pichers1.jpg

I have used mustard on my ribs for years, but lately starting using olive oil (regular olive oil...NOT extra virgin), and my ribs are coming out better. I get a better bark and a more moist rib it seems. I like it! Not so sure about buring the OO though??

Back