Flat Iron Steak - PRON

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was out this morning and decided to stop by to see if the market had any meat on sale. They had chuck roast for $1.99 a pound so I picked up some of that. As I was about to move on I noticed this flat iron steak and decided I would bring it home too.

picture.php

I rubbed it down with a lot of sea salt and some garlic and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

picture.php

I washed off all the salt and garlic and patted it dry. Then, I put it in a hot tub while I got the fire ready.

picture.php

I rubbed it down heavily with black pepper and put it on the grill at about 650 F.

picture.php

It was very juicy, tender, and very tasty. I like it on the medium side since I don't like the look of blood on my plate. It fed four of us and still had a little left over.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Looks great. One of my fav things to order at a restaurant. Now I have to try cooking one that looks that good!

That looks good, I almost bought one of these. I may have to go back and get it.

Looks like the steak is cooked perfectly.
What kind of pan is the squash in?

Looks good. Did a flat iron today myself. BTW, the juice is not blood, no matter how rare you might cook it.

Thanks, folks!

keale, the hot tub is just hot water from my kitchen faucet. The idea is to bring the meat up to about 75 to 80 degrees F. It will cook quicker since you will only have about 60 more degrees to go.

Big Jim BBQ, I used my Bubba Keg.

hammerz_nailz, the squash is in a perforated grill pan.

BluesDaddy, thanks for the reassurance but, whatever it is, I don't like its looks. :-D

Last edited:
Nice job Bo! I'm kicking myself for not getting one of those discount kegs. :tsk:

I was out this morning and decided to stop by to see if the market had any meat on sale. They had chuck roast for $1.99 a pound so I picked up some of that. As I was about to move on I noticed this flat iron steak and decided I would bring it home too.

picture.php

I rubbed it down with a lot of sea salt and some garlic and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

picture.php

I washed off all the salt and garlic and patted it dry. Then, I put it in a hot tub while I got the fire ready.

picture.php

I rubbed it down heavily with black pepper and put it on the grill at about 650 F.

picture.php

It was very juicy, tender, and very tasty. I like it on the medium side since I don't like the look of blood on my plate. It fed four of us and still had a little left over.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Good price on the chuck, and they are one of my favorite cuts. You got the of best of both worlds, because.... Flat Iron steaks are one particular muscle cut from the chuck.

For a cut of steak from chuck, it is incredible. Tender, moist, flavorful, and just one of the best steaks around.

BeefCutChuck.png

I just recently discovered flat iron steaks. The flavor is great, but mine have been a little tough. After reading your post, I think that I have probably been cooking at a temperature too low.

Swinetime, do what I did. Use the "dry" brine with salt and garlic for 20 minutes, rinse and pat dry, put it in the hot tub with the meat in a plastic bag for about 20 - 30 minutes, rub with fresh, coarsely ground black pepper, and then cook over as high heat as you can get from your grill. The flat iron I had today was one of the best I have ever had. Usually, I prefer ribeye. But, if I can keep getting flat iron steaks like the one I had today, I may rethink that.

Last edited:
Back