Flat top grills

mbshop

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on flat top cookers or grills. Just for the backyard. Choices im looking at are camp chef 4 burner, blackstone 4 burner and blue rhino. Im leaning towards the camp chef. Suggestions, discussions, etc on them ? Thanks !

I cooked on BS’s for a tad over 4 years. Sold them last year and now cook on a Camp Chef FTG 900. I really did enjoy the Blackstone’s... but I LOVE the Camp Chef.

-Much more even heat
-Not affected by wind
-Double bottom shelves for more storage and rigidity
-Comes pre-seasoned
-Looks better (subjective)

We use our griddle a minimum of 5x each week.

Another vote for the camp chef! I like the grease trap system and I also like the reinforced top. Never had any rust problems either

Looking for recommendations on flat top cookers or grills. Just for the backyard. Choices im looking at are camp chef 4 burner, blackstone 4 burner and blue rhino. Im leaning towards the camp chef. Suggestions, discussions, etc on them ? Thanks !

Another vote for Camp Chef. I found mine on sale at Outdoor Cooking for $299.00 and free shipping. If you wait, they might start going on sale soon.

I really like my Blackstone 36 and 17. I've never looked into the Camp Chef. I really think it's going to come down to putting your hands on several different brands and pick the one that will best suit your needs. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Camping World has a weekend special at the end of July on the Camp Chef FTG600 plus a 20% off coupon so it ended up being $179 plus $25 shipping, so I pulled the trigger. It has been on back order but shipped today, and will arrive on Wednesday.

I've had both the Camp Chef and Blackstone. The CC is built more like a tank, but he BS works great also. I downsized and currently have the BS 22", which is sufficient size for my needs right now. BUT, if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the Blackstone Range Combo from Walmart. Flat top griddle plus 2 burners on a nice cart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-Range-Top-Combo-with-Bonus-Fryer/806171984

I love my Blackstone. Only complaint is that wind gives it some trouble but I think some company makes a wind guard for it. Not sure if camp chef has the same issue

I love my blackstone but the newer units have lids made for them and which ever one you choose get a lid so it can be covered up while its hot.

I don't have experience with either, but I'm debating same issue and right now leaning camp chef based on reviews/videos I've watched

I went with the Lowes Blue Rhino, 4 burner. The reason I went with this, is the two side shelves fold over the griddle surface making a hard cover. It stays out in the weather so I also have a soft cover on it, but even here in central Georgia, I have had no rust problems. It works great, but I do think the BS with the rear drain is a bit better in the grease roundup department. I never found a place that had the CC 6 burner that I could look at, but it specs out as a very fine unit.

Bottom line, get one of whatever make, you will like it.

I bought the Camp Chef FTG600 and like it. The only downside ... to me .... is the mobility of it. Two of the legs have wheels the other two don't. Can't wheel it around ... so I screwed in some wheels I got from home depot. That did it. Some other brands mentioned above look prettty nice and I saw a nexgrill at HD that loooked nice. Seems like there are a lot more choices now but I'd opt for a proven brand or do a review search before buying.

I bought the Camp Chef FTG600 and like it. The only downside ... to me .... is the mobility of it. Two of the legs have wheels the other two don't. Can't wheel it around ... so I screwed in some wheels I got from home depot. That did it. Some other brands mentioned above look prettty nice and I saw a nexgrill at HD that loooked nice. Seems like there are a lot more choices now but I'd opt for a proven brand or do a review search before buying.

Is it still level with the wheels? Do you have any info on the wheels that you bought?

This is the reason I sold my Camp Chef. I kept mine in a shed and moved it out to use it. The CC was so heavy it was a real pain to move. Additionally, to move it (since it only has wheels on one side), you need to lift up on the shelf to lift the non-wheel side. However, over time the continual lifting of the unit will break the spot welds at the back of the shelf. I broke welds on my shelves which Camp Chef replaced under warranty.

wheels

Is it still level with the wheels? Do you have any info on the wheels that you bought?

I bought a couple of these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Non-Marking-Rubber-Caster-4031245EB/203672395 I brought in the original leveling pegs to check the thread size. That was the hard part ... finding compatible thread size. Make sure you do the same.

Your observation on leveling is correct .... it left things a bit high on that side but I didn't screw them all the way in to check. I replaced the other wheels with 10in wheels from Harbor Freight. Overall it raised the grill a couple of inches. I didn't mind the extra height. On thinking about it now, perhaps I should have just placed a small block of wood under the original wheels. I like the convenience of being able to roll it around,

CampChef has a new frame that you change out with additional wheels but from what I remember, it's expensive and my wheel solution was cheap.

I bought a couple of these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Non-Marking-Rubber-Caster-4031245EB/203672395 I brought in the original leveling pegs to check the thread size. That was the hard part ... finding compatible thread size. Make sure you do the same.

Your observation on leveling is correct .... it left things a bit high on that side but I didn't screw them all the way in to check. I replaced the other wheels with 10in wheels from Harbor Freight. Overall it raised the grill a couple of inches. I didn't mind the extra height. On thinking about it now, perhaps I should have just placed a small block of wood under the original wheels. I like the convenience of being able to roll it around,

CampChef has a new frame that you change out with additional wheels but from what I remember, it's expensive and my wheel solution was cheap.

Thanks! That may be the first mod I do to mine once it is assembled :-D

wheels

Thanks! That may be the first mod I do to mine once it is assembled :-D

Can't remember why the 10in wheels ... might have been because i couldn't find any skinny 8inch wheels. But from the 6 in ... to the 10 ... it raised it 2 inches. an 8 in wheel would raise it 1 inch .... I think . good luck ...

Something to consider ... when the griddle is fired up there is a lot of heat on the side tables .... so you don't put a lot of stuff on them ... I set a burger press on the sight side and was surprised on how hot it got. I wish that both side tables could fold down all the way ... but they don't because the right side is hindered byn the propane tank. I don't use the optional grates ... no reason to. Just being picky ... bit it is a very nice flat top.

I have a Blackstone 36 and love it. I needed the mobility because I keep it in my garage and roll it out to my cooking area (about 20 feet) each time I cook. I found a $59 cart to go along with it. My side of the garage is for my toys!:biggrin1:

Attachments

• 6FFD0296-FC82-4C43-A663-612661B53FC0.jpg
    6FFD0296-FC82-4C43-A663-612661B53FC0.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 157
Back