How do I find.....

smoker jayson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Amature contest to compete in? I've looked on the kcbs website and found nothing. My teammate an I decided we would like to hone our skills a little more before attempting a pro competition

I used the kcbs site to find the pro events in my area then go to those event websites and look for the entry forms. Many/most time for me they have backyard forms there too and if they don't then there isn't a backyard event. Basically kcbs doesn't have a specific "amateur/backyard" section of the site so just dig further into each specific event.

A lot of states have their own BBQ associations that would more than likely have information on backyard contests as well as pro. Just google the state your are interested in cooking for BBQ societies or associations and you should come up with something. Good Luck!

Contact the NBBQA to see who they have in your state/region. If I called them, they'd direct me to the state BBQA, who has a facebook page with unsanctioned events listed.

dmp

Meh, just jump in. It's a ton of fun, frustration, lack of sleep and did I mention fun?

Amature contest to compete in? I've looked on the kcbs website and found nothing. My teammate an I decided we would like to hone our skills a little more before attempting a pro competition
There is a 2 meat (chicken and ribs) event in Downingtown, PA on August 4th. Bel Air MD has a backyard rib cookoff on Friday the 10th of August.
I think New Holland has a backyard division (August 24th)

Oh I agree but it's also expensive

Many sanctioned contests allow you to enter just one or two categories. Depending on the sanctioning body (ala. KCBS), while you wont be competing for the overall Grand Champion, you are able to compete (and for money) in those that you want to enter.

This will allow you to keep costs modest, hone your skills, and hone them to/towards real competition.

I for one have seen two things that were a personal disappointment to me and those are:

1. Teams that compete in unsanctioned competitions and think they're honing their skills that get trounced badly in sanctioned comps and get very disappointed.

2. Teams that are very good and win unsanctioned comps and spend all that time and effort only to find out that they might've won the sanctioned competition IF they'd entered (and made a few bucks).

Compared to the cost of travel + meats + equipment + seasonings + all the other stuff, the entry fees are a smaller percentage.

Many sanctioned contests allow you to enter just one or two categories. Depending on the sanctioning body (ala. KCBS), while you wont be competing for the overall Grand Champion, you are able to compete (and for money) in those that you want to enter.

This will allow you to keep costs modest, hone your skills, and hone them to/towards real competition.

I for one have seen two things that were a personal disappointment to me and those are:

1. Teams that compete in unsanctioned competitions and think they're honing their skills that get trounced badly in sanctioned comps and get very disappointed.

2. Teams that are very good and win unsanctioned comps and spend all that time and effort only to find out that they might've won the sanctioned competition IF they'd entered (and made a few bucks).

Compared to the cost of travel + meats + equipment + seasonings + all the other stuff, the entry fees are a smaller percentage.

I fo sho want to stay within the kcbs sanctioned events so I came see the scoring and so on

Back