Just to be clear on this rule...

Smokin' Hicks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
we can do all trimming of meat ahead of time at home away from the comp site? right? I ask this same damn thing and question myself on it every year...but my worst nightmare is showing up with a trimmed brisket, chicken, ribs, and butt and the meat inspector DQ'ing me for trimming ahead of time :mad2:... thanks for putting my mind at ease

For KCBS you can. Not sure if you can for MBN. FBA allows it, but you are suggested or required to bring receipts or lables showing that it is USDA inspected meat. You cannot season or treat the meant until after meat inspection.

dmp

we can do all trimming of meat ahead of time at home away from the comp site? right? I ask this same damn thing and question myself on it every year...but my worst nightmare is showing up with a trimmed brisket, chicken, ribs, and butt and the meat inspector DQ'ing me for trimming ahead of time :mad2:... thanks for putting my mind at ease

Only in MO is it illegal to pre-trim your meats. :heh: kidding of course.

Remember when the meat inspector comes around majority of the time it is the organizer or one of their volunteers doing the inspection so don't get too worked up if they say something stupid or are ignorant, just ask them to get the KCBS rep.

Trimmed, yes - seasoned (marinade, injection, rub, etc), no. At least for KCBS comps.

In our experience, we have shown all 4 non-seasoned (and home-trimmed) meats to the inspector. It's always been met with a "yup, yup, yup, yup...you're good to go".

Inspectors aren't out there to hurt competiton teams. It's just one of those protocol things.

For KCBS a good way to remember it is:

You can always take away from the meat before it's inspected. You just can't add to it.

I called KCBS and they told me it had to be in the package.

I called KCBS and they told me it had to be in the package.

I don't know who you talked to but that is NOT correct. We've trimmed ahead of time for the last twi years with never a question asked. Ask any contest rep.

What size fire extinguisher do you need for the KCBS?

KCBS does not mandate any particular size fire extinguisher. They only say that you need to have one near your pit. Some organizers or fire marshalls might stipulate what you must have but KCBS does not.

I just remember on one of the pit master shows they made one of the guys go get a bigger fire extinguisher. And by the way Boogie i keep two in my trailer at all times. Just wondering if there was a size I needed.

I just remember on one of the pit master shows they made one of the guys go get a bigger fire extinguisher. And by the way Boogie i keep two in my trailer at all times. Just wondering if there was a size I needed.

fair enough. :thumb:

What size fire extinguisher do you need for the KCBS?

Last year in Chesapeake we set ours off by accident just after the fire inspectors left! WOOPS! Made a farkin white cloud and a half and we couldn't shut the beotch off! :oops: Luckily the inspectors didn't see it and we didn't have to go out and get another one. But the people next to us swore we were trying to sabotage them. :mmph: Just before this incident someone's dog peed on their cooler. It wasn't our dog but they didn't believe us after the fire extinguisher incident.

P1020255.jpg

Back on topic: Yes, you can trim ahead of time.

Last year in Chesapeake we set ours off by accident just after the fire inspectors left! WOOPS! Made a farkin white cloud and a half and we couldn't shut the beotch off! :oops: Luckily the inspectors didn't see it and we didn't have to go out and get another one. But the people next to us swore we were trying to sabotage them. :mmph: Just before this incident someone's dog peed on their cooler. It wasn't our dog but they didn't believe us after the fire extinguisher incident.

P1020255.jpg

Back on topic: Yes, you can trim ahead of time.

You can trim but you are NOT allowed to open your can of barbecue pork until after it is inspected.

Back