The sad truth about honing steels!

I found a couple of these in a garage sale. I have the smooth steel and the coarse.

PDF]
HAND-HELD KNIFE MAINTENANCE TOOLS HAND-HELD KNIFE MAINTENANCE ...

237k - Adobe PDF - View as html
Alignment elements available in ceramic or stainless steel. ... Cozzini PRIMEdge. is synonymous with keeping the perfect edge on your knives. Especially ...
www.primedge.com/pdfs/hand tools/hpe hand tools en.pdf

Good thread. That said one should use the method that gives them good results, just like our Q. Doesn't matter what others say about ones Q just as long as the cook and family like it.

I hear you - but I suppose in this instance the method and style of using a honing rod that I discussed actually does damage to the knife. I guess that I would say that perhaps some (most) folks THINK they are using a method that gives good results, however, what is happening is that they are doing damage to a tool.

But I'm with you. I hate the notion of"purity" that is often associated with BBQ. You know, statements like, "That's not real BBQ." Real is what works for me - at least when it comes to smoking meat :becky:

I don't carry an expensive set of knives during competition. One reason is that I can't afford two expensive sets and the other is that I don't want to have to worry about losing or damaging one.

I've been using a ChefsChoice 120 sharpener to tune up my comp set a day or two before going. I can get a pretty respectable edge that holds at least through the weekend. Someday I would like to get proficient with hand sharpening but just have difficulty finding the time.

Oh yeah, the steel that came with the set went straight into the trash. I read somewhere else that they were complete junk.

Russ

I use an old smooth steel that predates me by a few decades, it was my grandmothers and if there ever were ridges, they are long gone. I have one of those useless ridged steel tools that I will find a use for someday. I used to have a few different ceramic rods that I have long since lost. I almost never steel my Japanese knives, although I will drag the back edge across the steel from time to time. One or two drags at most.

Most people, even butchers, cutters, chefs, have no clue how to use a steel or why.

They use it because someone told them to, or that's what they learned or so and so did and he was a great cutter, butcher, chef or .......

For 95% of knife users a steel of any kind just means more money for the the guy that really sharpens knives.

The slap happy whack whack truly is nonsense.

If you want a ceramic "steel" get a Idahone or ceramic 10" - 12" from Edge Pro. Follow Ben Dales directions for use of it and you won't go wrong. Go light and go slow is my motto.

I know people that have had there own smooth steels made on lathes and heat treated to 70RC. I got one and I refer to it as a burnisher, not a knife steel.

Back