Sweet Baby Ray's sauce got cling ability

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Putting heart and soul into BBQ

July 10, 2008
Recommend

By ELIZABETH SCHIELE Contributor
Sweet Baby Ray himself is here to say his sauce is not only sweet and tangy, but it's got cling ability.
"Sweet Baby Ray's uses pineapple syrup to make a unique flavor and sweetness and the thickness has cling ability to the meat," said Dave Raymond, originator of the Sweet Baby Ray barbecue sauce sold at local grocers. That barbecue clingability enhances the flavor of almost every meat it's basted on, but that cling ability also is keeping his namesake rib joint hopping in Elk Grove Village after almost two years in business. Here, Raymond, along with partners Mike O'Brien and executive chef Paul Papadopoulos, sell 1,000 pounds of baby back ribs each week, all slow smoked for 12 hours making them pink, tender and meaty.
» Click to enlarge image
Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue meister Dave Raymond.
(Allison Williams/Staff Photographer)

» Click to enlarge image
A plate of barbeque salmon topped with fried onions rings at Sweet Baby Ray's.
(Allison Williams/Staff Photographer)

RELATED STORIES
Talk back: Entertaining Ideas blog
SWEET BABY RAY'S
800 E. Higgins Road, Elk Grove Village. Open for lunch noon to 5 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Open for dinner 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 5 to 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. On Saturdays and Sundays, breakfast is also served from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Call (847) 437-9555 or visit www.sbrbbq.com.

"I'm taking my heart and soul and everything I know about barbecue and putting it in a barbecue restaurant," Raymond said. "Our place has brought a southern and Cajun flair to Chicago."
That Cajun flair comes from chef Papadopoulos who spent seven years as the executive sous chef at Heaven on Seven, the popular downtown Chicago Cajun restaurant. Guests will experience a little bit of that spice in such menu items as the pan-seared, barbecue wild shrimp. Although Papadopoulos experiments with a variety of daily specials including smoked chicken or chopped brisket enchiladas and even Hawaiian lamb ribs, they're not always his biggest sellers.
"Ninety-percent of the people come here for barbecue," Papadopoulos said. The ribs and the pulled pork sandwiches are the most popular menu items. But guests will also discover delicious and tender, sliced beef brisket graced with the popular sauce and a fresh, tangy and perfectly prepared barbecue salmon served with a corn maque choux and creamy coleslaw.
For dessert, guests can experiment with mini samplers ranging from tart key lime pie to a crème brulee. Prices range from $7 to $27 for both lunch and dinner.
The dining room is as casual as the food here, with a come-as-you-are southern hospitality, with ample seating inside and outside, plus a separate bar area.
Raymond has spent more than 25 years circling the country at barbecue competitions and he believes Chicago is at the top of the second tier of barbecue capitals in the United States. The top tier includes Memphis, North Carolina, Kansas City and Texas. Although he mentions that the debate continues, "Chicago and barbecue are deeply entrenched," just as Sweet Baby Ray, barbecue and ribs are in the northwest suburbs.

Maybe it's just me, but does he look old enough to have been circling the BBQ comp. scene for 25 years???:confused:
So, the secret ingredient is pineapple syrup, huh?:twisted::mrgreen:

That's not Dave Raymond in that pic! Must be a waiter at the diner?

I like Sweet Baby Rays, lots of citrus flavor and sugar/honey taste. Does'nt need as much doctoring!

Jeff

I like Sweet baby rays but i don't think Chicago is any where neer the second or third teir in the BBQ world. I travel to chicago several times each year on business and on one occation me and a friend of mine decided to try some BBQ. I don't remember what the name of the place was but we didn't see burnt ends on the menu. My friend asked if they had any and the waitress looked confused. She went back to ask the kitchen and the response that we got was that they don't burn their food. We almost died laughing. That was the last time i have ever wanted BBQ in Chicago. We'll stick with Pizza and Hot dogs from now on.

How do you smoke ribs for 12 hours? Either they spend way to much time in the danger zone, they fall apart when you touch them or they are burnt to a crisp.

So, the secret ingredient is pineapple syrup, huh?:twisted::mrgreen:
Maybe, maybe not -- but with frozen concentrated pineapple juice so readily available at the supermarket, why not give it a spin?

That would be some real "low & slow" cooking for sure but 12hrs come on. Even if they caked them in sauce they would be burnt to a crisp. I have used their sauce off and on but never by itself. I usually mix it with KC or Blues Hog and tastes pretty good.

I like Sweet baby rays but i don't think Chicago is any where neer the second or third teir in the BBQ world. I travel to chicago several times each year on business and on one occation me and a friend of mine decided to try some BBQ. I don't remember what the name of the place was but we didn't see burnt ends on the menu. My friend asked if they had any and the waitress looked confused. She went back to ask the kitchen and the response that we got was that they don't burn their food. We almost died laughing. That was the last time i have ever wanted BBQ in Chicago. We'll stick with Pizza and Hot dogs from now on.
I came to the realization that people in Chicago don't know what BBQ should taste like... So they simply accept what they are given.... I ran into the same problem earlier this year... I feel like Guy Fieri let me down....

I like it for beef rib mop, i mix SBR with orange juice, my rub & some burbon for kick, i've use it before alone but it is really thick & i like to add some vinegar to thin it a little.

I won 3rd place peoples choice ribs at Lake placid with it. I use it regularly in my catreing gigs. Good stuff.

I've eaten BBQ all over the south and had never heard of Burnt Ends until I started visiting the BBQ forums online. When I was at the judges school in Mississippi, the team that was cooking for the class told me that the event organizer had asked for burnt ends and he told them that his cookers (Backwoods) don't make burnt food:biggrin:

I like SBR sauce. It makes a pretty tasty jumpin jim chicken sauce with Plowboys as the rub, and it is my favorite on ribs.

I tried Sweet Baby Rays for the first time, one part SBR's cut with two parts maple syrup and one part apple juice, as the finish glaze on the last ribs I cooked. The taste profile was the best to date and pretty darned close to what I have been looking for.

I came to the realization that people in Chicago don't know what BBQ should taste like... So they simply accept what they are given.... I ran into the same problem earlier this year... I feel like Guy Fieri let me down....

I agree if you are talking about restaurants. Just like they can't make a Pizza south of I-40 or West of the Mississippi.

I use it on ribs from time to time. Its good stuff, you can kinda taste the pineapple too.

Back