What have they got to hide?

I finished listening to the April BOD meeting last night.....good grief. The vote on this sounded (to me), pre-orchestrated.

I spoke with a board member this weekend and while he explained things from his side I am still not convinced that the new board members are in for a battle. Enough excuses about having to conceal legal, discipline, and purchasing issues and work on rules, member retention, member benefits, and barbeque!

My motions are tabled again for next month. Motion #3 is denied pending finalization and execution of Non-disclosure Agreements by all KCBS board members and office staff...........

As long as you brought up the Non-disclosure agreements here I have a question. Are these specifically about the Executive Session recordings or will this limit what board members can speak about in other areas?

I spoke with a board member this weekend and while he explained things from his side I am still not convinced that the new board members are in for a battle. Enough excuses about having to conceal legal, discipline, and purchasing issues and work on rules, member retention, member benefits, and barbeque!

Speaking solely for myself, and on KCBS or the board....

My email isn't classified. gmullins at kcbs dot us

I'd be happy to discuss the issue with you, and if you disagree you can feel free to let the world know. If YOU have concerns or issues, I'd prefer to have the opportunity to offer my opinion before you draw conclusions about my dedication or motives in public.

I get it, I'm somewhat of a public figure now and understand that criticism comes with the job. If your concerns are with my actions or lack thereof I'd think that addressing them to me first would be more effective, rather than waiting for me to make the time to read this forum and find your post.

Congrats on your election to the Iowa BBQ Society BoD. According to some friends there Iowa BBQ rules the world:wink:

George, I believe that you and the three other new board members have done all you can. I can't place any blame on you four guys. I just hope that you gus keep going to bat for us. The stalemate has to be irritating to say the least. I guess it is time to accept the organization for what it is. George, Jeff, Dave, & Steve, keep up the good fight and know I am not out to beat down the four of you when I know you are all doing your best!

George, I believe that you and the three other new board members have done all you can. I can't place any blame on you four guys. I just hope that you gus keep going to bat for us. The stalemate has to be irritating to say the least. I guess it is time to accept the organization for what it is. George, Jeff, Dave, & Steve, keep up the good fight and know I am not out to beat down the four of you when I know you are all doing your best!

Again, and I understand that some find this to be tiresome...

Speaking solely for myself, and not KCBS or the board.....

I've actually been surprised on several votes. The results were not what I expected. That has been encouraging.

I'm not directing the following at you.... I hope it doesn't become a fight or battle. There are and will be issues where there is disagreement. Some issues have been tabled so that more thought or work can be directed to an issue. If a consensus can't be reached, it's time to vote and then move on to the next issue. That's the way a board should work.

In the past that hasn't always been the case, based on meetings I've listened to. As a member, I encourage you and others to let me know what your concerns are directly. My KCBS email lands on every device I own that's capable of checking it. Let me know what's important to you, and do it as soon as possible. It benefits everyone if the opportunity is there to learn about the issue. If the issue isn't known, I can't address it.

There are things that I can't discuss, and I hope that members will understand that. Beyond that, I'll continue to do everything that I can to be as open and accessible as possible.

There was a vote that went against 'the block' the last meeting. Honestly, I believe that it was the right way to vote. I also liked it in the past when certain BOD members (who shall go nameless) weren't paying attention and would vote the wrong way. The groans were entertaining... ;)

Speaking strictly for myself, I'll say this up front:

I'm not aware of any "block" voting or having votes decided on in advance. There's going to be times that I disagree with the other new BoD members - hell, we disagreed on some stuff before we even thought about running as individuals or as a group.

And while others might or might not agree with me, I'm still in favor of some things being in executive session. The main thing to remember is that no motions are voted on in Executive Session - discussion, yes - but the voting is out front in public and recorded in the minutes.

The portion that I thought was orchestrated was Mike Lake abstaining which leaves the President to cast the deciding vote.

The portion that I thought was orchestrated was Mike Lake abstaining which leaves the President to cast the deciding vote.

I will add to what Steph said and that is the vote doesn't matter at all. Of course I could tell you why but then the President would be mad, she is trying to shut us all up.

OMG! The president is trying to be the (bum, bump, BUM) Dicktator of KCBS...

Give me a break. I just do it for the money, everybody knows that... Just like everyone knows that certain board members are mind-readers and that everything is an orchestrated plot.

Geesh!!! Go cook something else, maybe it'll be edible.

This is my opinion, only my opinion, and my REAL opinion is that people who really want to run things deserve to. 9 more meetings...

Candy can you answer my question about the Non-disclosure? It's an easy way to stop the rumors.

As long as you brought up the Non-disclosure agreements here I have a question. Are these specifically about the Executive Session recordings or will this limit what board members can speak about in other areas?

I have been re-reading this and other posts and have a simple question.

Why do the Current Board member not have a right to ALL documents and information pertaining to the operation of the organization?

The reasoning for this question is, when I was on the PNWBA board, we had similar issues with hidden records and agenda by past and current board members and we sought a legal opinion on the subject. It was stated that withholding this information is illegal and the party or parties could be sued and the D&O insurance would not cover the cost of the suit if the party was withholding the information. Is MO or KS law any different? Has no one asked the question of the legal group? Was this question asked and that is why Mike Lake abstained because of the answer?

I have also heard that the disclosure being offered prevents any board member, past or present, from discussing any aspects of the BOD or organization whether the actions took place in open session or closed session. I hope this is not true!!

Be glad to, Ray. The non-disclosure agreement will be signed by directors and staff of KCBS. In my opinion, it should cover all discussions on all topics held in closed sessions present and past, live or recorded. It will cover matters that are "proprietary" to KCBS that only the staff know that shouldn't be in open discussion with anyone who doesn't need to know. . It's an extension of fiduciary responsibility. When someone is elected as a KCBS director, they have a duty to KCBS. Many times situations arise where personal motives, desires, ambitions and relationships conflict with that first duty to KCBS. A nondisclosure agreement is a physical reminder of personal responsibility to KCBS.

I'll add something else...

My attorney has reviewed the NDA and given me his opinion. Candy was aware of this, and open to hearing any concerns raised. I'll pass those on to her shortly. In previous discussions, she has made it clear that she was open to input and welcomed it. I also believe that had she chosen to push for a vote, the votes were probably there to pass it. Instead it's been tabled for study, and input.

I've got no idea what the finished product may look like, but there is an opportunity for input and discussion. Speaking solely for myself, I intend to offer what I can to help us move forward. If the finished product is something that I can't support, then so be it. We are a long way from that point right now.

My opinion, and mine alone without representing KCBS or the board.

I've been staying out of this but I think you have asked some good questions and have a right to some answers. Since this topic was discussed in open session I believe I have a right to comment. My answers are in Red

I have been re-reading this and other posts and have a simple question.

Why do the Current Board member not have a right to ALL documents and information pertaining to the operation of the organization? We do have a right we just don't have access

The reasoning for this question is, when I was on the PNWBA board, we had similar issues with hidden records and agenda by past and current board members and we sought a legal opinion on the subject. It was stated that withholding this information is illegal and the party or parties could be sued and the D&O insurance would not cover the cost of the suit if the party was withholding the information. Is MO or KS law any different? No Missouri Law is no different. Has no one asked the question of the legal group? Yes the question was asked twice and answered twice which is why I can tell you Missouri law is no different. Was this question asked and that is why Mike Lake abstained because of the answer? I cannot speak for Mike Lake. Only he can answer your question.

I have also heard that the disclosure being offered prevents any board member, past or present, from discussing any aspects of the BOD or organization whether the actions took place in open session or closed session. I hope this is not true!! It's a confidentiality agreement and it pertains to all confidential information. At the present time the definition of confidential information is very broad. I don't believe former board members can be held to any agreement they did not sign. However this does not mean they are free to distribute confidential information. By accepting a term on the BOD they did agree to the Code of conduct.

By accepting a term on the BOD they did agree to the Code of conduct.

Does this mean that the current board is bound by a code of conduct which makes a confidentiality agreement moot? What would the reasoning be therefore, to block this access?

You know the BS really should stop and the entire BOD work as a team and quit playing silly little games and micromanaging the day to day operations. It has gotten too big for that.

By accepting a term on the BOD they did agree to the Code of conduct.

Does this mean that the current board is bound by a code of conduct which makes a confidentiality agreement moot? What would the reasoning be therefore, to block this access?

You know the BS really should stop and the entire BOD work as a team and quit playing silly little games and micromanaging the day to day operations. It has gotten too big for that.

This board is not bound by a code of conduct. That's the problem and the nondisclosure agreement encompases a code of conduct. I think that when you're on the outside looking at the board, it may seem to be "silly little games." I believe that this board has the potential to be a great team moving KCBS further down the field. Mack, you should run next year on the "no silly little games" platform.

Blah, Blah, Blah -- my opinion only!

Back