High Heat Brisket on BGE...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was a bit luckier with my brisket today than swamprb...but I did have to trim quite a bit of brown stuff off to suit my liking...

I started out with a 10 lb packer...by the time I separated the point from the flat and removed all the ugly stuff...I was left with about 6-7 lbs of brisket...oh well...it's just enough for dinner! :p

HighHeatBrisket001.jpg

HighHeatBrisket002.jpg

Rubbed up with SouthPaw Brisket Rub...

HighHeatBrisket006.jpg

HighHeatBrisket007.jpg

Tossed on the BGE as soon as I fired it...lower vent wide open...daisy wheel on full open slots...Weekend Warrior lump with hickory and red oak chunks for smoke...

HighHeatBrisket008.jpg

1/2 hour in to the smoke temp rock steady at 350...bottom slot open 1 inch...daisy wheel slots full open...outside temp 30 degrees...

HighHeatBrisket010.jpg

See ya in 3-4 hours for an update...:wink:

I've had good luck with high heat on the egg JD, but prefer the UDS for brisket. I'll have to check back in the a.m. to see your results.

Paul

I've had good luck with high heat on the egg JD, but prefer the UDS for brisket. I'll have to check back in the a.m. to see your results.

Paul

I usually do them on my WSM...but figured the BGE would be better for a cold weather smoke! :cool:

"Tossed on the BGE as soon as I fired it"

huh? no preheat of the ceramics at all?

"Tossed on the BGE as soon as I fired it"

huh? no preheat of the ceramics at all?

Nope...I use the same method on my WSM...makes for a killer smoke ring! :cool: I fire up the lump...add the smoke wood chunks...add the plate setter, drip pan, and grate...then put the meat on. When the thermometer hits 350 I dial it in to cruising speed...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Nope...I use the same method on my WSM...makes for a killer smoke ring! :cool: I fire up the lump...add the smoke wood chunks...add the plate setter, drip pan, and grate...then put the meat on. When the thermometer hits 350 I dial it in to cruising speed...:biggrin:

hmmm... maybe because the meat is between fridge and 140 degrees for longer so the smoke ring is deeper, ya think?

Smoke ring isnt from smoke. It's a chemical reaction. You can get a good one from using tender quick for about an hour then washing it off.

hmmm... maybe because the meat is between fridge and 140 degrees for longer so the smoke ring is deeper, ya think?

Bingo...:biggrin:

Is it time to foil yet?

As a matter of fact...

I pulled and foiled @ 170ish...then back on the smoker till it's done. I'll chop the point and throw it back on with some bbq sauce for burnt ends while the flat is in the cooler. :cool:

HighHeatBrisket011.jpg

HighHeatBrisket012.jpg

Great thread. How much lump did you load? All the way up to top of firebox? Were you able to cruise at 350* without reloading lump the whole cook? How long?

Great thread. How much lump did you load? All the way up to top of firebox? Were you able to cruise at 350* without reloading lump the whole cook? How long?

Thanks bro...lump was about half full (top of lower fire box)...no re-load. I started the BGE @ 2:00 pm...it is now 7:00 pm and I just shut it down...temps were still @ 350. Total cook time to coolering was about 3 hours.

Coolered the flat, sliced the point in to 3/4 chunks, added some SouthPaw Brisket Sauce and tossed it back on the BGE.

HighHeatBrisket015.jpg

HighHeatBrisket016.jpg

Dinner comin' up...:p

looking good! Did you rub with mustard or anything prior? I have a heck of a hard time getting a smoke ring using lump and wood chunks in my primo (I dont use TQ)...did you use TQ at all?

looking good! Did you rub with mustard or anything prior? I have a heck of a hard time getting a smoke ring using lump and wood chunks in my primo (I dont use TQ)...did you use TQ at all?

Nope...no mustard...no TQ...just my rub and smoke! :p

Mmmm... JD, looks perfect!!:-D

Looks awful good to me JD

Ross

Thanks guys...here are a few pics of the flat...and dinner. Overall I was happy with the smoke. The burnt ends were awesome...but the flat was a bit dry. Not sure if I'd do another hot-n-fast on a small flat without injecting. Could be I didn't let it rest in the cooler long enough too...:?::?::?: Oh well....the main thing was trying out my new rub...two thumbs up from my wife...good enough for me! :p

HighHeatBrisket018.jpg

HighHeatBrisket019.jpg

HighHeatBrisket021.jpg

HighHeatBrisket022.jpg

Thans for checkin' out my dinner folks...good night! :biggrin:

Looks good! I probably would have left the flat in the cooler longer, but thats just me!

Back