CharGriller Charcoal grate

B

BowMeHunter74

CharGriller Charcoal grate (with food and grill pics)

I just got a used CG W/SFB. It was a rusty pig when I got it sunday. I only brushed it down with a wire brush to get some of the surface rust off. I then rinsed it out and let it dry. I then caked on crisco, and got the heat and smoke rolling for about 8 hrs... I wish I had some chicken to throw on for some grease seasoning. This morning when I looked it over it seems the rust is covered up pretty good. Do you think the rust under the seasoning I did will be ok? The grates were pretty dam rough.

So now comes my other question.. The smoker didn't have the grate hangers with it.. I read some where that you can turn the charcoal grate upside down to act as a baffle.. But I think you are supposed to hang it? I just turned mine upside down and layed it flat in there.. I don't know what to expect, but the temps are doing pretty good the first hr. Flucuating (spelled that wrong) inbetween 225-240. I had one spike with the firebox vent wide open. shut it down halfway and it's doing good. I'm using sorta a minion method - Half chimney of lit, and one unlit.

That C/grate is in really ruff shape. Rusted all to heck, and wasn't sure if I should have even used it. Do you think I will be ok to eat the product (1 pork butt and a rack of ribs)that comes off the rust bucket? Not a big deal if I can't. The meat was only 13 bucks total.. Scored a good deal at EL-REY here in Milwaukee.

Well I better stop rambling, I'm confusing myself... I can't imagine how much I'm confusing you guys & Gals.

I will take some pics when, I peek the first time after about 3 hrs (so in about a hr and a half.) Do you think I should flip the meat after 3 hrs? I have the butt closer to the FB and the ribs towards the chimney.

I think I'm going to try going without foiling any of it. Maybe the Butt when he gets to a certain temp? If I don't foil should I mop the ribs with something? I don't really have much to use. Beer, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar is all I have for liquids pretty much.

OK-OK-I will stop rambling:lol:

Thanks a million in advance for any help or tips you can offer this rookie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next chance you get, try to scrape off as much rust as you can and take it back to as close to 'bare steel' as you can. Then season it. Worst case scenario Chargriller sells replacements for most of that stuff. You'd be better off going with a charcoal basket than the stock firegrate in the box.

I doubt it will be much of a difference to have the grate flipped in the barrel just sitting on the bottom.....just a guess....

Thanks, BYC.

I was just visiting their site and replacement parts. I will get the grate hagers for sure. Temps still holding pretty steady @ 240, but's it's only been 2.5 hrs. And I have added some more unlit lump. I took the basket out and shaked the ashes off. and kind of started the minion method again. I also added another chunk of hickory.

I't sounds like I will need to get into cleaning the rust off better. I was kind of in a hurry to use it, lol.

Well I'm going to try and find a mop recipe for the few ingredients I have to make one with. Could I add a little honey to the mop and only apply the last hr so it doesn't burn? I can see this is going to be one addicting hobby! Just what I need, another excuse to drink:)

The chimney mod was already done too it. Thanks tho, MOTLEY. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

instead of flipping the charcoal grate over (main) I put a pan of water next to the sfb and it acts as a baffle also. just keep it filled, works great that way and its easy

I like that Idea, crue. Sounds simple and effective.

I'm trying to load some pics of the smoke and grill @ 3hrs into the cook. Having a hard time loading the pics tho.

Here are some pics - 3 hrs in.

bbq021smallqy9.jpg

bbq020smallof8.jpg

bbq028smalllo6.jpg

You shouldn't need the hangers if you flip the grate. Mine fits right against the opening, with an extra notch that sticks out above that I cover with some heavy duty foil.

I started using this method this year instead of the water pan. I found that even with the water pan, I was still getting much higher temps on the side with the opening. The flipped charcoal grate does a significantly better job of distributing the heat.

For the ribs, try a spray with 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup beer, 2 tbsp honey, and a couple tbsp worcestershire if ya got it. That's as close as I can remember to what I usually do.:wink:

Thanks BeerBq. I'm pretty happy how it's working with the charcoal grate upside down, and just siting in the barrel. For my mop I just said fark it, and added apple juice, Cider vinegar, beer, worcestershire, garlic powder, onion powder, and chilli powder.. Sounds tasty:eek:

I have done every mod to my CG that I could think of.
The upside down charcoal grate is a new one and I'm going to try that one too. I had a baffle where the heat came out of the firebox(Wife's cookie sheet....shhh...don't tell:shock: ) but that didn't work as well as I had planned.
Thanks for the info guys!

Back