I'm looking for a Ho Link recipe

farklf

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does anybody have a great Hot Link recipe?? I would love to make a nice Hot Link sandwich. I wish I could modify the title. Meant Hot Link!!!LOL!!

This one is pretty good.

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
3 T. Morton's Tender Quick
2 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced water over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and
mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are
done.

Why the Tender Quick and MSG in the recipe?

The TQ is in there to give the sausage* a nice pink color (it's not there for any food safety reasons as this sausage is not cold smoked), and TQ will tigthen up the texture a hair. The MSG is there to enhance overall flavor. Both are optional, but if you omit the TQ you will have to add salt (The majority of TQ is the salt carrier)

*Bigwheel's recipe calls for some ground beef in addition to the pork. You often see TQ used when beef is in a sausage recipe. Take all beef hot dogs for example.... they all have nitrates added, because they keep the color of the hot dog appealing. Without TQ a cooked hot dog would look more gray than pink.

I wish I could modify the title. Meant Hot Link!!!LOL!!

I'm told that if you go to "Edit", and then use the "Go Advanced" feature to edit, you can then modify the title. I wish I had known that before I messed up a few titles of my own, lol.

I'm told that if you go to "Edit", and then use the "Go Advanced" feature to edit, you can then modify the title. I wish I had known that before I messed up a few titles of my own, lol.

Yes you can, but I think there's a 6 hour (or so) time limit for the edit feature.

Back