Bad Butt

paulheels

Reaction score
I just cooked a Butt from Kroger. Probably one of the most disappointed pulled porks I have ever cooked. So disappointing I am posting about it. I am not a beginner at this either, I have cooked ALOT of pork. so this is nothing new to me. I pulled at 196, rested for app an hr. when I began to pull, it sure as hell didnt pull like it spose too. I really attribute this to the meat, I had to take a double take of the meat when I was prepping, something about it didnt seem right. It was purchased from Kroger, the first time I have ever bought butt from there, just grabbed it when I got a loin.
My conclusion, this was a poor piece of meat.

Paul

Last time I checked out Ribs at Krogers, the packaging disclosed that it was injected with liquids and additives. Wondering if youve still got the label, and if same thing with the shoulders

Well the label said bone In. I knew before I picked it up there was no bone. and there sure wasn't one. I do not recall it being in a brine.
It's just so weird. I know it's nothing I did, so it makes me never want to buy meat from there. Luckily I have three real good places I get my meat from. This just so happened to be a quickie stop.

Could it have been the picnic which usually takes longer to cook? Also, I cook until they are tender to the probe, not to some specific temperature. Was the bone loose?

Never bought a picnic at Krogers, but (again) had almost same experience the 2 times I bought pork ribs there.

I've bought plenty of butts at Food4Less/Ralphs (Kroger), never had one problem. I wonder what the issue was with yours. Enhanced? Anyone get sick?

No one is sick. Not sure if it was enhanced, def not flavored.

The double take, the package said bone in, it wasn't. The butt wasn't cut like it had been boned either. The meat was fine, it wasn't spoiled. The cut didn't seem right.

you undercooked it. Dont go by temp, go by feel.

When a probe slides in close to the bone easily, its done.

At least by me, Kroger butts are the same butt every other major store is carrying.

Actually, Kroger is cutting their butts different than they used to. The bone that used to be on the long end is at the top now. Looks like they're trying to keep the money muscle or something. They just suck!

Actually, Kroger is cutting their butts different than they used to. The bone that used to be on the long end is at the top now. Looks like they're trying to keep the money muscle or something. They just suck!

I hate to tell ya but Kroger doesnt cut butts, let alone do any real butchering.

They buy their meat from the same retailers as Sams, Costco, Meijer and others. It comes in cryovac 2 pacs. Usually opened and re wraped with their sticker for pricing.

If your Kroger has butts AND picnics, then ignore me completely. :thumb:

I've cooked lots of butts, and I've had a few that were just terrible. Cut looked the same, stuck to my usual technique, cooked to the same temps, and pulled the bone out smooth as I always do. But the flavor was just off-actually bad. Let be honest here; butts are about the most forgiving thing to cook. It is disappointing, but unless you are still perfecting your methods, you may simply have gotten a bad butt.

Good Luck!

I hate to tell ya but Kroger doesnt cut butts, let alone do any real butchering.

They buy their meat from the same retailers as Sams, Costco, Meijer and others. It comes in cryovac 2 pacs. Usually opened and re wraped with their sticker for pricing.

If your Kroger has butts AND picnics, then ignore me completely. :thumb:

Yes, my Kroger has butts and picnics. And whoever cuts them :tsk: , cuts them at a different angle than they used to. It's like a totally different piece of meat than it was even a month or so ago. They cook different, they pull different, etc. In the last two loads I've cooked (30 pounds and 70 pounds), I've had two "stubborn" butts. I'd never had one before.

You mentioned that the cut didn't seem right, and that it didn't pull right. How big was it?

I'm wondering if it could have been a "Sirloin Butt". I have seen this labeled as just a "Pork Butt" before. If thats what it was then that would explain the issue.

I know it was under cooked. No way in a coons holler it should've been. I have always done by temp on shoulders, butts, picnics. Never has
one been under cooked at 195 til now. Brisket I go by feel, butt I do by temp. Thanks for the ideas. Had to tell someone who would understand my frustration!! Haha.

I got a guy who can get me shoulders now. So I will cut my own butts or picnics.

Because all of the grocery chains by massive amounts of box meats. The packer houses mix in about 20-30% SOW meat with the butcher hog. It is their way of balancing inventory. Old meat packer trick. Same with No-roll Beef being mixed with choice or select lots. It happens all day long.

I will NOT buy pork from Kroger.HERE it is labled as Moist and Tender and shot full of brine "enhanced".I buy mine at Sam's or Costco.They are NOT "enhanced".Sorry for your dissapointment.You stated that you can get whole shoulders.THAT is the way to go.A whole shoulder cooked and all mixted together is MUCH,MUCH better than a butt or picnic on their own.IMNSHO.:thumb:

Hoss, the shoulders are waaaay better in my opinion as well. That is all I cooked when I was in NC, when I moved to SC I could not find anyone who sold shoulders. Now I just found a guy who does. I can only get them by the case #70, so its a lot of money and a lot meat to store.
after cooking shoulders for three years and then having to go back to picnics or butts, I was amazed at how different the meat was, in a good way. I also do not cook butts usually, I typically go with picnics. More fat and skin.

Paul

Back