Did I ever mess up

The Pigman

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Doing the big cook over the weekend we were cooking for 24 hours and after what I thought all of the meat was cooled and put in refrigs and or delivered I left a tray of butts in the oven where it was placed to cool down. about 17 hours later I relized what i had done and put in refrig. now these arnt for someone else thankfully but the ones i had made for us. Do you think they are BAD........i hate to throw them out.

I think you would be fine, it's no different than having cooked food set out for a while, and I've eaten food before that sat out for a while. Think of all day parties with buffets-people are eating the same food at the end that was set out at the beginning. Plus, yours are whole butts that were in the oven. I would eat them.

What are we talking $20-40 of meat? What's 3-5 days of spewing from both end worth to you? :p

I wouldn't eat it. 17 hours is a long time. Did you get an internal temp when you discovered this?

If you reheat it in the microwave or something it should be safe. You have to get it hot enough to kill the bad bacteria though. Sitting in the "danger zone" for 17 hours gives those nasty bugs plenty of time to set up shop and send you on bi-hourly trips to the bathroom for a couple days..

If you reheat it in the microwave or something it should be safe. You have to get it hot enough to kill the bad bacteria though. Sitting in the "danger zone" for 17 hours gives those nasty bugs plenty of time to set up shop and send you on bi-hourly trips to the bathroom for a couple days..
Infections like staph produce heat stable toxins that won't be eliminated by reheating. These toxins won't cause a change in odor or texture either. Just because most spoilage causing bacteria are nuked at 160 degrees, don't assume that simply reheating meat will make cooked food safe to eat even though its a popular misconception.

Infections like staph produce heat stable toxins that won't be eliminated by reheating. These toxins won't cause a change in odor or texture either. Just because most spoilage causing bacteria are nuked at 160 degrees, don't assume that simply reheating meat will make cooked food safe to eat even though its a popular misconception.

Learned something new today then... Thanks for the info.

test it on the neighbors dog first. :becky:

Did you take temp of the meat when you found it? I'm guessing even core temp was probably near ambient after 17 hours. LEAVE STICKY NOTES! I know I do. I also set alarms on my cell phone to remind me of things like that.

How many butts we talking here? A tray to me is 2 8-10lb butts. At near $2 per lb + time and fuel it's a fair question for you to be asking. I know I'd weigh it out if it were for me. Got a cousin you dont like but who pesters you for Q? Could be a lab rat opportunity. Just sayin' :thumb:

I wouldn't even think twice, that would be in the trash ASAP. No need to gamble, my friend. IF it is safe, you're losing some replaceable meat - if not, it could be very unpleasant and even cause a trip to the doctor/hospital.

Suck that it happened, though.

Roughly how long was it allowed to stay at room temperature? Meaning, was it still cooking or steeping for many of those hours? If so, you're probably ok. Luckily it was already cooked. This is different from the meat in the process of being cooked... However, if when you left it the smoker/grill was already back down under 100 degrees, then yeah, 17 hours is really too long.

Food poisioning caused by Staph's toxin is more sudden in onset, perhaps as early as 3-4 hours. Other causes have a longer ingestion to symptom onset, about 12 hours. The main thing is attention to detail and cleanliness at the beginning. Buy good meat from a good source. don't keep it unproperly stored and longer than recommended before cooking. As suggested if in doubt test it . My preference is my Mother-in-Law.

I would eat it. have you ever been to a family reunion on the 4th of July and the food sit out all day as every one ate it all day not counting the fly's :doh:

17 hours and people are actually saying to eat it? Seriously?

Food sitting out for a family party (4-8 hours, tops?) is nothing compared to 17 whole hours left in an oven to cool.

You may not get sick, but the risk is too great. Dump it.

17 hours and people are actually saying to eat it? Seriously?

Food sitting out for a family party (4-8 hours, tops?) is nothing compared to 17 whole hours left in an oven to cool.

You may not get sick, but the risk is too great. Dump it.

Ditto

I've been biting my tongue, because I've been too reckless with it. But yeah, I agree with the above post. :becky:

Back