Brined first turkey, do I rinse? Need advise here

fttom

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My first brining is complete on a whole turkey (24 hours), I am going to throw on the UDS shortly. Do I rise it off, or just pat it dry with paper towels, before I rub ? Also should I take the skin off or leave it on, when I smoke it ? Just going to cut it up for sammies for a party when its done. Thanks for your advise !!

What did you brine it in, if it contained a lot of salt I would rinse it off and out and then rub it up with a nice rub.

I always rinse my mine. My rub has salt in it and I made the mistake of not rinsing one time and it was too salty for our taste.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking. I brined in kosher salt water with some brown sugar and garlic and some lime juice (and some red hot, cause thats the way we like it !)
What about the skin ?? leave it on, or take it off ??

What about the skin ?? leave it on, or take it off ??

Leave it on to protect your meat throughout your cook. I cook my turkey at 325 which makes the skin more crispy and nut rubbery like a low heat would produce. If you don't want the skin take it off when it is done. Good luck with your turkey.

I always rinse my mine. My rub has salt in it and I made the mistake of not rinsing one time and it was too salty for our taste.

^^^^^^^^^
thats it right there..

Rinse it off REALLY WELL, unless u like a salt lick.

With pieces, I dump the brine and let them sit in fresh water for a minute, then start rinsing under running water. the whole turkey i woiuld jsut rinse real well under running water, inside and out.

Rinse it and leave the skin on,at least that's the way i do it.

You guys are great ! Thanks, for the expert advise ! Off to the UDS it goes !

I think we are tellin you to Rinse It. Next time try no brine and inject it with home made chicken stock.

I use a pretty heavy salt brine and I don't rinse mine and from research it's really more personal preference. The salt in the brine is going to sick to the inside (the meat and the skin) as part of Osmosis, as the salt is in solution in the brine, not sure how much of it is residually sticking to the outside (and thus needs to be removed by rinsing).

The rinsing part really depends on the kind of brine you use.

If you're using a brine with big flakes or seasons (peppers, ginger, garlic, etc) then it's probably good to rinse the "chunks" away.

Russ
Author Brining 101

Be careful on the Rub, if it has a lot of salt it may be too much with the Brine.

I use a mild brine... no need to rinse, just pat it dry. I always leave the skin on.

I have done several with the Fire & Flavor Turkey Perfect Herb Brining Mix. I have never rinsed the bird and always leave the skin on. I also scavenge as much of the herbs as i can from the mix and rub it onto the bird. I have gotten nothing but rave reviews!

So fttom I was going to add my two bits;

1. Of course you should rinse off the bird after brining to remove any excess salt as well as the salty purge-tainted liquid (blood).

2. Through osmosis the salt desiccates the skin, so when smoke-roasting it will crisp easily albeit quickly especially at the breast, and even more so if you brush a bit of oil or butter on there. Just keep an eye on it and maybe throw some foil or bacon on there if it looks as if it will be too brown before the meat cooks to safe internal temperatures (which has happened to me)...

Cheers!

P.S. "Matchlight"? Doesn't it take a certain level of mental/barbecue aptitude to even have the courage just to be on this site?

So fttom I was going to add my two bits;

1. Of course you should rinse off the bird after brining to remove any excess salt as well as the salty purge-tainted liquid (blood).

2. Through osmosis the salt desiccates the skin, so when smoke-roasting it will crisp easily albeit quickly especially at the breast, and even more so if you brush a bit of oil or butter on there. Just keep an eye on it and maybe throw some foil or bacon on there if it looks as if it will be too brown before the meat cooks to safe internal temperatures (which has happened to me)...

Cheers!

P.S. "Matchlight"? Doesn't it take a certain level of mental/barbecue aptitude to even have the courage just to be on this site?

I don't know. I may try some matchlight next time it's on sale.

This was a brined Turkey in Video form

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/25/JK_pEDi7G2k

and it makes incredible DUMPLINS

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/24/iBwr3jlfCGg

I also "fire roast" the turkey instead of making it black from exposure. Not that I do not like that too.

Für eine gute feuchte Türkei, kombinieren bevorzugte salzlake mit riesigen Mengen Öl und Senf. Das Öl vermeiden Trocknen der Türkei und der Senf fügt Geschmack und hält die salzlake und Öl aus der Trennung wie viel.

Let ME ask you this? AFTER gently removing her from her iron lung, would you ever let your grandfather's 80 year old girlfriend orally pleasure you after you after you had relations with someone else if she asked you to wash it off first. Of course you would,,, any gentleman would do that at least. We aLLLLLLL have similar stories I am sure.

I am just trying to draw a parallel everyone can relate to.

View attachment 43497

The only tasteful picture I have of Granny Farker I have that does not violate Brethren restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back