is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Will this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96157
96157.gif

Run this:
http://www.countrysmokers.com/tg-300.htm
bbqsmoker-tg300.jpg

The specs on the grill say the igniter takes 300watts and the power pack is rated for 400watts. It just seems close to the max plus you also have the fan wattage.

Thanks,
Nate

I would think the 300 watts is refering to the usage after the glow plug turns off. I have the WholeHog and the Traeger 075. The Traeger is suppose to pull 800 watts at start and then go to 250 when running. You may want to call Dansons and ask what the max load is for the glow plug at start up.

In the link it says "300 Watt Electric Auto Igniter". If a Traeger is 250 for just the fan I would assume that a CS is close to that, which would put me over.

I would think the 300 watts is refering to the usage after the glow plug turns off. I have the WholeHog and the Traeger 075. The Traeger is suppose to pull 800 watts at start and then go to 250 when running. You may want to call Dansons and ask what the max load is for the glow plug at start up.

I spoke with Danson and they recomended 800-1000 watts. So I am back on the hunt. Any suggests for a similar product?

I have seen a few folks run the FECs off a charged car or marine battery. They're relatively cheap and portable.

Nate,

I have run my FEC on a standard battery and an inverter.
Worked fine, but I got tired of the hassle of maintaining the battery and trying to keep good connections.
Several places for failure in the setup.
But, it worked.

My partner Brent (Smokin' Gator) found me a like new Yamaha 1KW on Craigslist for only $300.
I have never looked back! :lol:

I can run my pellet cookers anywhere now and maintenance on the little genset is a snap.
I did a test and got 17.5 hours out of a .6 gal fuel load running the FEC plus a light bulb.

Just FWIW if you can work up to (or snag) a genset someday!

TIM

I thought of the small generator idea. Sams has a nice 800watt for $295, but I really like the simplicity of the power pack. And one less motor to maintain. What I'm thinking about doing is adding a switch on the front for the igniter. When plugged into the power pack I would switch the igniter off and do a manual light. That way all the power pack has to run is the fan and pellet motor. Now all I need to know is how long it will run for.

That power pack will not do the job you want. the specs are a 12V 17 Ah battery which will supply the 300 watts you need for maybe a half hour.

Agree with Harry.

Those power packs are great for one thing: the occaisional jump start of a dead battery. Use them for any extended length of time and the re-charge capacity goes down very quickly. I've had two, both pooped out on me after only a few uses of running an automatic skeet launcher. And I doubt the launcher draws much more power than a fan and a pellet motor.

Be leery of any specs put on anything at HF and remember HF tools are the onetime use and throw away type.

Except the weedburners obviously!

Back