Plowboys Boxes - July 14, 2007

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Since everyone is posting their boxes, here are our boxes from this weekend. Probably most proud of the pork box, but our chicken box got 9,9,9,9,8 for appearance. I guess we didn't get a picture of our ribs.

Attachments

• 088 [640x480].JPG
    088 [640x480].JPG
    81 KB · Views: 201
  • 089 [640x480].JPG
    089 [640x480].JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 090 [640x480].JPG
    090 [640x480].JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 091 [640x480].JPG
    091 [640x480].JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 199
Looks great, personally I would rank your Brisket as the best. The Pork looks good but has a bit too much sauce going on, I'd rather see the pork meat glazed as opposed to the drizzles of sauce. Speaking as a cook not a judge.

Looks great, personally I would rank your Brisket as the best. The Pork looks good but has a bit too much sauce going on, I'd rather see the pork meat glazed as opposed to the drizzles of sauce. Speaking as a cook not a judge.

I'd agree on the pork, however, we've found that the sauce drizzle has worked best for us. When we do it just like this, we typically score. Too much sauce is an instant killer, too... from our experience.

That is probably one of the best chicken boxes i have ever seen. They look great!! Brisket looks awesome too, how did you score on it?

That is probably one of the best chicken boxes i have ever seen. They look great!! Brisket looks awesome too, how did you score on it?

Chicken - 11th (161.7)
Pork - 7th (159.4)
Brisket - 12th (158.3)
Dessert - 6th (171.4)

whats the dessert? wifes been working on her dessert entree for this weekends waterloo

OK, I will be the wanker here...I think the chicken had to much sauce on it and would have given it a 7. Other 2 were 8's!

Those look great to me. One question about the brisket. Do you normally cut the brisket to fit box or use the smaller end of the brisket so it doesn't have to be cut width wise to fit. We usually use the narrower end so we will have a smoke ring all the way around or atleast on the sides and top. I just figured appearance wise it would look more uniform and be scored higher because of that, but our scores aren't all that great, but not bad either. If it doesn't appear to affect the appearance scores I would consider using the wider sometimes juicier middle pieces. Thanks.

Jason

Jason - IMO...Always take your best slices that are the best cooked over appearance of smoke ring and shape. Cutting an end to fit uniformly should not hurt you as long as overall appearance is well balanced.

Jason - IMO...Always take your best slices that are the best cooked over appearance of smoke ring and shape. Cutting an end to fit uniformly should not hurt you as long as overall appearance is well balanced.

Thanks makes sense to me. I always forget that taste and texture are key, and the most points!

Jason

Great looking boxes brother! I'm surprised KCBS allows you to trim the ends of the brisket. The Texas clubs require that you trim before cooking. That brisket would be DQed here.

OK, I will be the wanker here...I think the chicken had to much sauce on it and would have given it a 7. Other 2 were 8's!

I personally don't like sauced chicken. Entered it that way for years without much reward. Started saucing our chicken this year and have seen a huge difference.

BINGO!!! We TRY to trim to fit the box before cooking, but it doesn't always end up that way. Rarely if ever take the end of the flat.

I don't sauce anything I cook at home. I feel if someone wants sauce they put it on for themselves. Course when start dabbling in comps then I will have to.

Plowboy the brisket looks the best and then the chicken, I noticed that you use less green than other and to me that makes the boxes look better.

Zilla, in KCBS you are allowed to trim and paint the briskets plus no requirement for thickness of the slice and sauce can be added after it's removed.

Nice looking boxes Todd. I agree with most people here. Your brisket box is the best looking.
I like the pork but where are the slices? I can't see them in the picture. I assume they are at the back of the box.
All in all, well done presentations.

Love you guys putting up these pics. I learn a chit load form looking at them. And the fact you're all so willing to share how you do things.
I think that chicken looked fantastic. Very evenly sized pieces, even color, even saucing. Makes my mouth water. The brisket looked fanatstic also, a nice moist sheen on the surface. Might have just been the pic, but my pork always looks darker than yours. Nice to learn about your experience with the sauce drizzle.

Great presentation boxes here...the chicken looks perfect to me. I don't see a thing wrong with any of it and I just know the meats were all delicious. The dessert looks very interesting! Thx for sharing.

Great presentation boxes here...the chicken looks perfect to me. I don't see a thing wrong with any of it and I just know the meats were all delicious. The dessert looks very interesting! Thx for sharing.

I don't like to try too hard on those non-KCBS categories. I'll do them if they don't take away from the real reason I'm there. Plus, my new rule is that it can't cost me more than $10. You can go crazy with these open categories.

Back