Maintaining Temps

K

Kung Fu BBQ

My home cooker is a Brinkmann cimmeron offset. i just read the firebricks post below (or above depending on responses), and it made me think about how hard it is for me to maintain with out a lot of attention.

I mainly used lump coal and a stick or two as needed as the cook moves along. I figure my fire box is too small for one of those maze type coal trays. I want to try some fire bricks.

Any other suggestions?

I added some to my pit in December. I have them in the bottom of the firebox and the smoke chamber. I do think they make a difference in getting back to temp after having the smoke chamber door open. I didn't notice that much of a difference in fuel use or air intake. If I was limited on the number I was adding I would definitely do the smoke chamber first.

On a smaller smoker pizza stones or unglazed terra cota tiles do the same thing. I think they are more valubale as valleys and peaks when opening the cooker or refilling charcoal. You want get great extension on you cook time.

Kung Fu-
I have a Cimmaron also, and am currently designing some serious mods to turn it into a reverse flow cooker. I have a terrible hot spot at the fire box, and nearly an 80* temp difference on the two sides of the smoke box. So far my design will serve as a baffle and a water pan, or possibly as a platform for fire bricks. When I have the time, my welder buddy has the time, and I have some $$ to buy supplies, I will get this done, and post pics on the site so y'all can see how I made the mods. Good thing I read this thread, because I'm thinking fire bricks may work better than a water pan. (I actually entertained the idea of my baffle being hollow and filled with oil or water to even out the heat).

I'm thinking of adding some firebricks also, but in doing so I'll have to raise the coal grate and if I use a basket, trim it to fit.

Back