BDS Cooks! Some Pics!

jerrycentral

Reaction score
Here are a couple of shots from the BDS lately.
The thing that I learned is to choke the fire back early and let it come up to temperature slowly.

IMG_9502.jpg

IMG_9313.jpg

Jerry

Very tasty looking Jerry. I had my BDS fired up early yesterday too. It was sweatshirt cold and rained all farking day, which is rare for summer in Wyoming. By 9AM the mountains were still heavily socked in and I could tell it wasn't going to let up. I started with briskets on both grates, and once they shrunk enough to fit on one, moved them up.

b6bb521d.jpg

I put on a load of shanks for the last couple of hours while the last brisket finished.

76f03f1c.jpg

Love those ribs !!! The color and finish look very appetizing ...

.... and gives me a good target for next cook. Thanks for the pourn!

thirdeye .... does the BDS have an impact on the rib result versus BGE? I would hope it is just temp control.

Q_Egg said:
...thirdeye .... does the BDS have an impact on the rib result versus BGE? I would hope it is just temp control.

Tom,

Yes it does. In a BDS you are cooking direct, no heat barrier like a plate setter and no water or drip pan. And just like in a pit barbecue, the grates are in the sweet spot, 24" to 30" above the coals. So, the main impact on ribs is the flavor the ribs take on from the fats and juices dripping onto the coals during the cook. I grew up with the big brick and concrete block backyard pits and although the BDS burns charcoal instead of wood, the flavors and smells take me back 40 years. Danny Gaulden calls it the "Grandpaw smell", which describes it much better than I can.

BDS Question(s) ... no hijack intended ....

.... I searched and found only one site (which I guess might be the 'original') @ bigdrumsmokers.com. Shipping will probably kill me (from NC), but I worry about lots of dumb mistakes if I try to have one fabricated here in my small town. Is this pretty straightforward, or do I just bite the bullet and go for one of these? If so, and since I do not typically cook for even medium size groups, is there a huge advantage for the two grate version or do I just pick one of the single grate 'base models' ? Finally, can these cook with wood or is there a fundamental design diiference for the stick burners?

Sorry to depart a bit, but you guys should certainly be a good source for me on this BDS topic.
I can get a new 17H drum from SLC for $52. plus shipping (probably another $25.).

Regards,

thirdeye said:
I grew up with the big brick and concrete block backyard pits and although the BDS burns charcoal instead of wood, the flavors and smells take me back 40 years. Danny Gaulden calls it the "Grandpaw smell", which describes it much better than I can.

Isn't that cool? Love the smell.

Thanks! Cool things, like the door, are likely to get me in trouble. My key welding outfit is happy to do it, but no plans and he has not done a large drum before.

BDS shipping is about $90.+ so their base unit will run clsoe to $400. delivered here in Utah. I wonder how bad I might do with 5 evenly spaced holes around the lower area, 5 similar holes in the lid, and angle braces around the upper and lower for grates? Sure it tempting for a total cost much closer to $100. !!

SORRY ! Getting too far OT .... I'm out of here.

Q_Egg said:
.... I searched and found only one site (which I guess might be the 'original') @ bigdrumsmokers.com.

Tom, that is the correct web site.

Shipping will probably kill me (from NC), but I worry about lots of dumb mistakes if I try to have one fabricated here in my small town. Is this pretty straightforward, or do I just bite the bullet and go for one of these?

I don't recall what the shipping costs were, but it made it to my door in two days. I had looked at them for a while and talked with Rocky for over an hour a couple of days before actually ordering. Once I decided, he shipped it out before he had recieved payment. As you said, I bit the bullet. It is a good product and Rocky is a good guy. I don't think it is any secret that the design lends itself to copying, as there is no welding or cutting, only drilling some bolt and vent holes. The grates are standard Weber grates and the charcoal basket is made from your favorite material, expando (in red due to the amount of blood you shed on the BGE mod. LOL).

If so, and since I do not typically cook for even medium size groups, is there a huge advantage for the two grate version or do I just pick one of the single grate 'base models' ?

The size of the BDS lends itself to larger cooks (well, for me that means larger than my Eggs can handle), that is one reason I own one. The other reason is mine weighs about 100 pounds, so I can tote it around (or loan it out) without any problems. You could use it on smaller cooks, and like the Egg, just close the vents and let the lump go out then re-use it next time. In the large Egg, cooking on two levels, I can do 4 butts but 3 is easier to manage. The BDS will cook 6 butts using both levels with no problem and I think 8 would be possible. Unlike an Egg, there is some turning involved when cooking on the BDS. A typical butt cook would involve 3 or 4 turns during the cook. The two grates in mine are 7" apart, so big things can fit without crowding the air circulation. When I only need one grate I use the upper. With two grates, you can do a lot of ribs or chicken pieces.

Finally, can these cook with wood or is there a fundamental design diiference for the stick burners?

I suppose It's possible to cook using wood, but the preburn, cleanup and heat control may be a bigger hassle, plus the BDS do not have a door like the BigMista Drum.

Sorry to depart a bit, but you guys should certainly be a good source for me on this BDS topic.
I can get a new 17H drum from SLC for $52. plus shipping (probably another $25.).

Regards,

There are some other regulars on this forum that use a BDS and there are more and more folks using them in comps as well. Maybe they will jump in on this thread too.

Cool ! Better to spend $400. wisely .... than $200. and get it wrong. Thanks for all the detail.

Mine was done from plans I did in Photoshop. I know nothing about welding except that it's hot. I just went to a guy who makes barrel pits and told him I wanted one that is vertical instead of horizontal and showed him my plans.

Gonna get another one made in a few weeks.

BDS Rocks!

I have been having a great time with the BDS and the loyal group at the BDS forum have provides wonderful detailed response to my questions. My Q has really improved over a few cook and my family and friends are quite excited about it. I really like the smell and the way it holds the temp for hours. I also like how easy it is to clean up, there is no sloppy water to dispose of. I simply take the lid off at the end of the cook and the remaining lump burns up in a hurry. I have started to use only lump under thirdeye’s direction and the ash left is almost none.

I also enjoy the light weight of the unit and the ability to tilt it up on one edge and roll it anywhere in the yard you want.

I have put the lid on it and a Weber 22inch cover and rolled it into the back of my Tahoe for Grandpa’s 75th and to the Lake of the Ozarks for the July 4!! Easy and cool!! I am a BBQ hero…………(my family thinks)

Jerry

BigMista called me ta get my BDS in here
I love mine. I have two old style BDS.
It takes very lil wood to give you the flavor.
Been using Royal Oak Charcoal

Q_Egg said:
Cool ! Better to spend $400. wisely .... than $200. and get it wrong. Thanks for all the detail.
I like the BDS style cooker, but $400 is a hell of a lot of money when you consider that you could buy 2 WSMs for that price! I think the best route is to do what Mista did, and I'm sure if you asked nicely, he would send you some drawings and pics to take to your fabricator. You could easily build one without any welding what so ever, just make sure you don't use any galvanized parts. This is just my oppinion, so take it for what its worth!

But will you get the cool logo??

BDS.jpg

People think of plenty of FUN things that the BDS letters mean................ Big Dumb Sh???
Bad Damn S???
etc.

I'm still working on mine. Drum and shipping was $97. I got 2 grates at Menards $8 each. The fire box is 3/8" rerod. All I need to do is cut the hole for the fire box and make a door, and weld in the rack suports do some minor welding and give it a fresh coat of paint.
Doing all this at work so have to do what I can ,when I can. Or I could go in early or stay late....naw. I'm taking pics as I go so when it's done I'll show off.
First cook will be at work so the guys will get off my arse.
ModelMaker

..... can't help but wonder how much one like Bigmista's would cost if it was made at the same time as his 2nd Balcony Barrel Smoker and I drove down and picked it up ?? Haven't made formal request since I am still pondering this decision.

Bigmista ..... are you so pleased with #1 that you will do it again without mods OR ... ???

The drive would probably cost you more than the smoker.

Noah, there is welding involved. The charcoal pan, the ash pan, the grate brackets, the handles (something I added on to make it easier to move), the door, and the lid has to be cut. My lid fits into the barrel instead of sitting on top. It's harder to take off, but it doesn't leak either.

Here are the sketches I took to the welder:

Attachments

• Ashpan.jpg
    Ashpan.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 80
  • Charcoalgrate.jpg
    Charcoalgrate.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 80
  • drumsmoker.jpg
    drumsmoker.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 80
Back