Smokey Joe Platinum - mods done

OSD

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I got a SJP just by chance the other day. Since that time I read about the mods to make them work better. I was putting the bottom of the Smokey Joe Silver away that I used the lid and grates for a Mini UDS, when I started looking at the bottom vent. I drilled out the rivet and the vent is already made with a convex shape. I placed it on the bottom of the SJP and it layed on perfect. So, I thought why not?? It has 4 holes and would be easy to add to the bottom of the SJP. So first I used a ball bearing to find the center of the bottom and then drilled a 1/4" hole. Then I put a small bolt through to set the vent on and hold it in place while I marked the hole pattern. I did make the holes 1" instead of 3/4" in the vent and the bottom of the SJP.

100_1127Small.jpg

100_1133Small.jpg

I then used a stainless machine screw and wing nut to hold it in place. I can give it a little extra turn to keep it extra tight so that it won't vibrate loose when traveling or loosen a little when cooking to make it easier to adjust.

100_1132Small.jpg

100_1137Small.jpg

Then I used the ash pan from the SJS on the legs and it fit perfect too.

The only thing left is I'm waiting on the temp gauge I ordered for the lid.

Nice mods. Your stoker fan might be a little big though:wink: Cooked on the mini yet??

Paul

That's fantastic. I have a SJ Silver sitting around that may never get used, so I may do this Mod instead of the other one.

Nice job, and congrats on the finished product.

milehigh---wanted to be sure it got enough air.:twisted: Saturday for the first Mini cook:cool:

this mod has been written about on the weber wsm site. i keep wondering why one would do this when you could just get an 18 in kettle and cut the legs shorter to fit yer needs. simple and easy. thats what i'm gonna do and keep my sjp as intended. as to the lid, you could rig up something or do as i do and use three bungee cords.

Back