• Thunderstorm Garage Pizza – American Style

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Pizza is certainly at the top of the list when it comes to foods I love. It’s almost a weekly tradition for us. I like different types of pizza when it comes to dough styles, which include thin crispy crust, cracker style, Chicago deep dish, traditional deep dish, and American style, which is usually a medium-thin pizza with a somewhat prominent “lip”. The latter was the choice of the evening.

A pretty epic thunderstorm rolled in along with a heavy dump of rain, so had to cook the pizza in the garage to stay dry.

For this pie, I decided on hefty pieces of fresh Italian sausage, pepperoni, and a final sprinkle of basil from the garden post-cook. Dough was store bought, from Trader Joe’s.

Dough worked into an 8 inch disc:

Hand stretched into a 14 inch round:

Onto the Super Peel:

Added homemade sauce, then mozzarella and pepperoni:

Added the sausage at the end:

Into the Blackstone, which was running about a 690 degree stone temp:

About 60 seconds in:

Fresh out of the oven, sliced, and topped with basil:

The pizza cooked in about 3 minutes. It was delicious, especially the sausage which was nice and juicy. For those of you who may have concerns about adding raw sausage to a pizza, I've been doing it for years. If you're cooking a pizza at high heat, around 500 plus degrees, the sausage fully cooks and is much moister than adding pre-cooked sausage, which tends to dry out when cooked a second time.

Thanks for looking!

That is a FANTASTIC looking pie!!!

Looks great, love the sausage. Homemade pizza is the best. I like your Blackstone oven, now i'm jealous😎

Pizza in the garage

The pie looks great!! I have a Blackstone too and it works great! Happy to see others with the same. :grin: Next to BBQ...……...homemade pies are a very close second.
Good tip on the raw sausage. I will try that!
Believe ideal good temp on my unit is about 700-750......for about a minute to 90 seconds...... much hotter and my crust will burn. What do you run yours at?
After rising, I let my dough mature for in fridge at least 24hrs if I can. Up to 3 days....even better. Can always do same day too.

Thanks for the post!

Hutch

Stumps XL Baby, Webers.

Last edited:
Great looking pizza there!

Great looking pie :thumb: we’ve been ordering about a pizza a week for the kids lately, I’m doing the math here and a pizza oven like that would pay for itself fairly quickly :idea:

Looks fantastic, That crust :thumb:

Killer as usual Richard! And absolutely right on the sausage. I put them on raw and they fully cook in that kinda heat.

I also do minced meat pies with raw meat and they fully cook in the 2-3 min range.

Lp0R2hRh.jpg

tDCq5MHh.jpg

You have fresh garden basin in February???

Oh yeah excellent pizza :clap2:

Job well done Richard

The pie looks great!! I have a Blackstone too and it works great! Happy to see others with the same. :grin: Next to BBQ...……...homemade pies are a very close second.
Good tip on the raw sausage. I will try that!
Believe ideal good temp on my unit is about 700-750......for about a minute to 90 seconds...... much hotter and my crust will burn. What do you run yours at?
After rising, I let my dough mature for in fridge at least 24hrs if I can. Up to 3 days....even better. Can always do same day too.

Thanks for the post!

Hutch

Stumps XL Baby, Webers.

If your running over 700 then recommend switching to to Caputo 00 pizzeria flour (blue bag). It's specifically made for 700-900 temp ovens. I cook about 850 and it never burns. Leoparding yes but that's not a bad thing and doesn't taste burned.

Back