How long does BBQ sauce last unopened?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just wondering. A buddy just found this in his cupboard.

1600283323973-screen-shot-2020-09-16-at-2.00.33-pm.png

1600283336327-screen-shot-2020-09-16-at-2.00.23-pm.png

Looks to me like that expired 1,996 years ago. But if it passes the sniff test, I'd go for it.

A little more seriously: I had a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's in my fridge for probably 6 - 7 years, used only when one particular friend came over who favored the stuff. He finally polished it off, and seems none the worse for it.

Me too.......I'd be surprised if it would come out of the bottle. For the less than $2 spent 16 years ago...not worth the risk.

I have a sealed bottle of Blues Hog original that expires in December of 2018.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The sugar in Blues Hog can crystallize if it sits in the fridge for too long. A wand blender takes care of it, so does setting the sauce.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I believe I remember Tim sayin that shelf life of BH is 12 months, but I can assure you that I have had some that was close to two yrs old before using.

Open the bottle, is there anything growing on top? NO? Then you're good to go.

It is so old that the bottle appears to be wrinkly from aging! :shock: :heh:

It won't kill you but it might be separated, stale or just not taste too good anymore.

Sauces like this really never spoil. Vinegar / Sugar / Salt content generally means that the sauce can't be a starter for a bacterial culture. You might get some mould but that won't kill you either.

Take a look at a fresh bottle of Tabasco against one you've had lying around for a year or two... if that's a thing ever... You'll see a colour change and there is a definite loss of flavor intensity.

So chuck it out just for that reason.

I'm pretty liberal with expiration, but if that is 04 or 07 on there I'm probably a no go. I would see how it tasted though.

Back