Abt

thunderbelly

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
wholly smoke, someone should have warned me about them:shock: . My compettion partner was lucky enough to try the first one this weekend and it brought tears to his eyes. I got the second one which was nice, and my wife got the Jalapeno from hell ( I know because I got the pleasure of finishing it for her, I feel like the human trash compactor some times)
Needless to say I am cooking them again this weekend, but was wondering what everyone else stuffs theirs with, I was thinking about pineapple or seafood this time around

Do a search for ABT or turds and you'll find a wide variety of fillings. Basically, its usually cheese, meat and seasoning. The type of cheese and meat can be almost anything. Shrimp or crab meat work well.

BTW, if the japs are too hot, use a spoon or veggie peeler to get out all of the membrane and seeds, and cook them a little longer. That will tame the heat somewhat. You can also use baby poblanos if you can find them.

Here's a recipe that I tried a while back that came out very good. It is modeled after the Crab Rangoons that we get from the local Chinese carry out place.

Turd Rangoons

24 Jalapenos
8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces fresh crab meat or canned crab meat, drained and flaked
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, to taste
1 - 1 1/2 green onions, finely sliced
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon red onion, chopped
6 slices bacon, quartered

Mix all ingredients except the jalapenos thoroughly. Slice the stem end off of the jalapenos and thoroughly clean out he seeds and membranes. Stuff the jalapenos with the cream cheese mizture and top with 1/4 slice of bacon. Secure the bacon with a toothpick if necessary. Place in a rack to hold upright and cook until the jalapenos are to your desired doneness.

If you want a little extra heat, finely chop the jalapeno caps (minus the stems) and add to the filling. You could also slice the japs in half lengthwise and fill them and cook them flat.

TurdsAfter.jpg

2 thing..

we have a roadmap link to ABTS... peek there

and

talk to whoever cleaned the japs out.. if you want no heat and all flavor, remove ALL the seeds and veins. All your have left is jalepeno flavor.

My family love ABTs. I usually make them by the dozen.

Last edited:
That's the tool I use, too, Curt! Your blackberry/brie turds sound great!

If too hot, just clean out the membrane and seeds better. Cream cheese as part of the filling will mellow the heat too.

The guy that cleaned them was first to try them and I hope he reads this post soon

thunderbelly said:
wholly smoke, someone should have warned me about them:shock: . My compettion partner was lucky enough to try the first one this weekend and it brought tears to his eyes. I got the second one which was nice, and my wife got the Jalapeno from hell ( I know because I got the pleasure of finishing it for her, I feel like the human trash compactor some times)
Needless to say I am cooking them again this weekend, but was wondering what everyone else stuffs theirs with, I was thinking about pineapple or seafood this time around
Cream cheese, thin sliced corned beef chopped finely, sauerkraut drained (squeezed between a couple of paper towels) and finely shredded Swiss cheese. Reuben turds. Done them a few times and they are good.

Kevin, the biggest festival in Ohio is in my town.. it's the Sauerkraut festival... Those would be GREAT for that! I may have to talk to someone doing food (all food is done by local groups, no pro vendors) about doing some of them.

Kevin said:
Cream cheese, thin sliced corned beef chopped finely, sauerkraut drained (squeezed between a couple of paper towels) and finely shredded Swiss cheese. Reuben turds. Done them a few times and they are good.

Wow, Kevin that sounds really good. Reuben is my favourite sammich.

I do them split in half and cooked flat. Usually add a thin slice of sweet onion with whatever else is in there. One time I cut up a habanero and put a piece of it in about every fifth one. Not hard to spot the folks who got the surprise packages!
If you have an old-fashioned butcher, get double smoked bacon for the wrap.

cream Cheese, Ground Up Beef Jerky (any Flavor Of Jack Link's Will Do) Mix With Cream Cheese Stuff In Jalapeno And Top With Bacon. And Smoke Until Done. South Dakota Fire

good Stuff

I smoked a couple yard birds over the weekend; I'm thinking of trying some chicken with mushrooms and a pinot noir reduction... no cheese this time. It might be interesting!

RonL> I don't think he skinned out the membranes which may explain the heat, and where did you get the chille grill in your photo??

thunderbelly said:
RonL> I don't think he skinned out the membranes which may explain the heat, and where did you get the chille grill in your photo??

The membranes are where the heat is, generally speaking, because that is where the highest concentration of capsaicinoids are. Even still, you have to remember you are talking about a natural product and each and every pepper is subject to variance, as there are capsaicinoids throughout all the flesh. So ...some will be significantly hotter than others even in the same batch.

Some claim a more pointy tipped Jap is also hotter than a more rounded one. My field research :oops: has not found this to be true.

I've tried it a couple of times but never did quite get it right. I think I overcooked them. By the time they were done, they were all limp and soggy. I did a simple cream cheese and ground sausage stuffed Japs and precooked the sausage.

How long should ABT's be cooked in the smoker?

I'm not big on heat and usually use poblano's cut in half lengthwise to make turd boats. Perfect for my milder taste.

Two years ago I grew my own japs that were of a specifically mild variety and we had a cool, rainy summer that year. They made great ABT's.

Back