Brisket FAIL - Jerkey anyone?

T

thetazzbot

Well it started out good. Very tasty rub. just the right temp on the UDS. Overnight, checked it twice, steady as she goes 225-245 at the grate. Foiled it 8 hours. Left it on another 2. Tough to the touch, but 195. Decided to let it ride to 205. Still tough to the touch. Almost out of coals. Restock, bring it back to 205. Took it out at 12 hours (12 pound brisket less fat).

Let it rest for 2 hours in the foil/cooler. Cut off a slice at the flat end. Jerkey meat. Cut off a slice at the thick end. Fatty (fat didnt render). Underdone? Overdone?

At this point, it's dog food anyway, so put it back in foil in oven @ 300 for 2 hours. Resting now.

I suck at briskets, you guys in the north texas competitions are safe for now.

Underdone. Also, every once in a while you get a brisket that just won't cook right no matter what.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here but 12 hours for a 12# brisket at 225 - 245 just doesn't sound long enough to me.

AGGHH. underdone??! well the 2 hours in the oven certainly helped. it was edible. tasty though.

my wife wants me to try again... lol. nice to have support like that

I do brisket at right around 300, at least 275. Lower temps always seem to take to long or it would be tough no mater what.

Picking a good brisket is key too, 12 lbs is to big IMO.

This is how I learned to do it.

http://youtu.be/ZGOQ_npS4pI

I've had two brisket disasters in a row, and have made some really nice burrito/taco meat. It was even good in omelets.

Yep, underdone. Raise the temps. 12lbs is a good starting weight.

My experience is that the ones that are bigger have always been shall we say 'chewier' no mater what. And just take forever, the size does nothing for me, just takes longer. Smaller one I can get to come out nicey every time much faster.

Plus up until very recently that was all i could fit in my smoker.

Also it always at least seems like I find better marbling on the smaller ones.

I say stay under 10 lbs, more people just get two.

BTW. giant smoker may be a different story im sure, om talking about back yard q.

Whats your opinion cook?

If the fat didn't render out, it sure sounds underdone to me.

I'm a sucker for buying as big a piece of meat as I can. I need to quit with that. I've had a lot of people tell me on here that the ideal brisket is 7-10 lbs. I'll go that route next time.

Sucks for ya. At least you get more practice next time!:becky::thumb:

Try the faster method. Smoker at 300, inject the night before, bring up to room temp before putting on the smoker, when brisket hits 170 internal wrap tight with foil and place back in smoker and take it to 200, remove and place in cooler for a few hours. I have not had one turn out bad in the last 6 or 8 I have done. Total cook time around 4 hours give er take a few minutes. Good smoke ring and great taste, good luck.

I've done 3, 12 pounders in the last month using Bigabytes:clap2: tutorial. 250 degrees until it probes like "butta". All 3 have been excellent, IMHO. Never checked the internal temps, just have the patience to let it ride and trust the probe.

Thanks to Bigabyte for that great tutorial!:thumb:

Sorry bout that, but you got the makings of Brisket Chili!! Dang good stuff on its own.

Bob

Sorry bout that, but you got the makings of Brisket Chili!! Dang good stuff on its own.

Bob

^^^what he said. Brisket chili is farking great, especially with pulled pork and chipotle peppers in adobo.

My experience is that the ones that are bigger have always been shall we say 'chewier' no mater what.

Whats your opinion cook?

Short answer is I really don't have tenderness problems with larger briskets.

Whatever works for you & whatever you have confidence in...that's what I always say.

This might seem stupid and you maybe already do it but are you cutting it agaisnt the grain? Only reason i ask is the first brisket i did had the right IT but was supper chewy. Then i found out about how to cut it and now my briskets are great.

^^^what he said. Brisket chili is farking great, especially with pulled pork and chipotle peppers in adobo.

Its ceases to be brisket chili, once you start adding pulled pork, no?

Back