Fire Bricks

Blutch

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, what's the deal with using firebricks in your firebox? How do you use them and why? I have a Ok. Joe's Longhorn offset and am adding a license plate baffle for the super bowl cook this weekend.. thinking about firebricks, but I'm not sure what the deal is.
Thanks

B

Fire bricks retain heat more than coals which help to keep the smoker up to the proper temperature while smoking. You can use fire bricks and also lava rock. I am building a smoker right now and am using firebricks in my next endeavour. If you ask me the bricks allow a little bit of lee-way on a cold day and also a little more time to sleep while cooking all night

I put them in my smoking chamber side too. More thermal mass is a good thing.

Blutch said:
I have a Ok. Joe's Longhorn offset and am adding a license plate baffle for the super bowl cook this weekend

Just a friendly reminder, that license plate is gonna stink something awful until the paint is burned off.

Are you cementing the fire bricks to the sidewalls or just laying them flat on the bottom of the firebox/smoke chamber? How much firegrate clearance do you allow?

What he ^ said. I've thought about adding bricks to my home cooker. Anything to help maintain temps longer.

Firebricks are a great addition to the smoker for more thermal mass and heat retention as said above. They will need more time and fuel to warm up-- especially on cold days. Once hot, they will remain hot for a really long time. They are great in both the smoker chamber and the firebox.

Are the the size of regular bricks? Where do you install them?

If they are like bricks, can you put them under your fire grate? Where do you put them in your smoking chamber? Where do you get them?

B

Bricks

I've found that the brick will raise the fire grate and increase airflow to the fuel for better control and retaining heat also!!

Blutch said:
Are the the size of regular bricks? Where do you install them?

If they are like bricks, can you put them under your fire grate? Where do you put them in your smoking chamber? Where do you get them?

B
I know my local Ace Hardware carries boxes of Rutland firebricks in 2 sizes and most stove shops should have them. Also look on craigslist!

I got my fire bricks at a masonary supply yard.
I lined them with foil and put them in the cooking chamber.
Clean up is easy and the do a great job holding the heat.

I just called my Home Depot cuz I need some before Saturday. They have them in the Garden Dept.

Some pics would be nice. Anyone?

Plowboy said:
Some pics would be nice. Anyone?
Chargriller with a water pan. Don't use the water pan anymore. That was an early experiment.

Attachments

• Fire Brick and pan.jpg
    Fire Brick and pan.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 736
I did the mods to my NBBD and have only done one cook with it-4 game hens and it took over 4+ hrs. and it was pretty cold out and took forever to get to cooking temps. I understand the mass in the cooking chamber, but what about heat retention in the firebox? I've got my eyes on some Nomex lined exhaust insulation that might fit around the firebox.

Kevin said:
Chargriller with a water pan. Don't use the water pan anymore. That was an early experiment.

Nice! So do you have three rows, going all the way to the firebox opening?

Can anyone tell me if it takes longer to get up to operating temps when you use the fire brick? As does it take longer to heat the mass?

Yet another use for the weed burner, blasting the firebricks!

Last edited:
SmokeInDaEye said:
Nice! So do you have three rows, going all the way to the firebox opening?

If I remember correctly, for the last row at the firebox end I turned the bricks 90* to make them fit. They are easy to break down to size with a slight tap with hammer and chisel, laying on a soft substrate such as sand.

Back