More even temps with the Shirley

MI Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First off I am not bashing, or pointing out a flaw,always looking to improve. Anyone use the gate valve between the smoker and the warmer, then open the exhaust valve above the warmer.
What I am thinking is that it will trap in more moisture, and even out temps even better. Maybe, similar to a reverse flow vertical.
Am I making sense?

Anyone use the gate valve between the smoker and the warmer, then open the exhaust valve above the warmer.

I cook this way in my Shirley warmer for 95% of my cooks. I seldom use the main chamber unless it's a real large cook.

Anyone use the gate valve between the smoker and the warmer, then open the exhaust valve above the warmer.
I have cooked this way quite a few times, either with food in the main chamber or just in the warmer.
Still messing with all the potential combinations.

You have uneven temps in your shirley??? Are you opening up every door at startup and then closing them after 20 minutes or so? Butt Burner posted this a while back and it works perfectly for me. Temps on all 4 racks are within 5 degrees. I would think heating the warmer would use more fuel when cooking in the main chamber.

edit: I tried closing all the doors after 10 minutes and my temps were off 15 degrees. It needs at least 20 minutes.

Sgh I am talking about cooking oin the main chamber

I misunderstood the question above. Yes I have drafted out of the vertical when using the main chamber. I really couldn't see any difference as opposed to just using the main chamber exhaust. I can see where it could make a difference on different shape and size pits. Especially if the warmer exhaust was small. My warmer and warmer exhaust are quite large so it has little if any affect on how the pit runs. If it is affecting it, I can't see it.

Here is my Shirley loaded down with venison. Both the main chamber and the warmer and I'm exhausting out of the warmer. The meat in the main chamber and the warmer cooked at the same rate.

Last edited:
If I'm just cooking in the main chamber I leave that door closed. My temps are always even after the smoker settles where it wants to run. I've never had to play with the doors.

Darryl-

what kind of difference are you seeing in temps?

please explain better so that we can help you

I agree with the others, I don't see more than 5-10 degree difference anywhere after the pit has been running a few hours

I need to try this open door method. So, are you saying that you leave the cabinet doors wide open for 20 minutes as the pit starts? How do you know when you have come up to temp? I see a 25 degree swing from the firebox side to the other when I exhaust out of the main chamber, but when I exhaust out of the warmer it is more even...

I need to try this open door method. So, are you saying that you leave the cabinet doors wide open for 20 minutes as the pit starts? How do you know when you have come up to temp? I see a 25 degree swing from the firebox side to the other when I exhaust out of the main chamber, but when I exhaust out of the warmer it is more even...

it wont come up to temp with the doors open

just leave everything open and let it breathe and air out for awhile. You don't want the white smoke you get from a just started fire in your pit anyway

just use common sense, there is no magic formula here

Hog1990 I think the fellas are trying to tell you to move the dead air.

When you light your firebox, everything should be open,.. main door, Firebox door, etc...

Then as your fire gets to running good you begin to shut doors to begin preheating cooking chambers. After the chambers come to temp. let them run there for awhile, Then,get your meat on. Temps should maintain closer variances and not fluctuate as much.

it wont come up to temp with the doors open

just leave everything open and let it breathe and air out for awhile. You don't want the white smoke you get from a just started fire in your pit anyway

just use common sense, there is no magic formula here

Hog1990 I think the fellas are trying to tell you to move the dead air.

When you light your firebox, everything should be open,.. main door, Firebox door, etc...

Then as your fire gets to running good you begin to shut doors to begin preheating cooking chambers. After the chambers come to temp. let them run there for awhile, Then,get your meat on. Temps should maintain closer variances and not fluctuate as much.

Exactly...with a weed burner you can be at 250-275 in 20-30 minutes. Once you close the doors to the main chamber it heats up quickly and you should see tbs the rest of the cook. I preheat my sticks in the warmer with both dampers closed. No need to spend the extra fuel to heat up the warmer if no meat is in there.

just a little background on this

at my cabin I have a wood burning stove I use to heat it with in the winter

before I light it, I have to pre heat the flue by burning a few sheets of newspaper to get the flue hot and the draft going up the chimney

if I don't, and just light a fire, sometimes the smoke will back up into the stove and not go anywhere

the same principle applies to my smoker.

I need to preheat the chimney (and the entire pit for that matter) so it set up the draft out the chimney and flows properly

ask Jbounds about that ;)

Thanks Always!

Paul, are you warming your cook chamber with the burner? a la Pitmaker?

yea when i first started running my SF Cabinet model i would have 50 - 75 degree differences from left to right......buttburner suggested i open the main chamber doors the first 20 ish minutes the fire was going...then close the doors...and now my temp is DEAD EVEN left to right...i guess it just helps get the draft going properly

yea when i first started running my SF Cabinet model i would have 50 - 75 degree differences from left to right......buttburner suggested i open the main chamber doors the first 20 ish minutes the fire was going...then close the doors...and now my temp is DEAD EVEN left to right...i guess it just helps get the draft going properly

I will give it shot Thursday
Thanks, Butt burner

Thanks Always!

Paul, are you warming your cook chamber with the burner? a la Pitmaker?

I do not warm the cook chamber with the weed burner. It gets plenty hot even with the doors open. Not only that, but in Texas the first 125 degrees or so are free.

I do not warm the cook chamber with the weed burner. It gets plenty hot even with the doors open. Not only that, but in Texas the first 125 degrees or so are free.

once i close my chamber doors its up to 300 in like 10 min if that

Back