How long will uncooked brisket keep?

Cahusky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just dropped off a 13lb brisket as a thank you for some University of Nevada football tix I got him last week. I won't have an opportunity to put it on the smoker until thur or fri of next week and I was wondering if it would still be ok if i just left it in the fridge. It came straight from the processing plant and is wrapped in cryovac. I feel like I should know the answer to this question but I really don't.

I don't know definatively, but one of the butchers where I typically buy butts and spares said that as long as the pack doesn't have any leaks, they'd be fine three weeks past the "sell by date", which I'm thinking is about a week or so after the store gets them delivered. He was talking about butts, but I'd think beef would be just as safe. Like I said though, I don't know for sure and haven't let them stay in the fridge THAT long.

I would not let it sit for a week, that is too long IMO.

Cryovac packing is no where the same as plastic wrap, and I can assure you that there's no problem with one week or more. It's just one of the conveniences we have thanks to science. Even if there's a smell when the pack is opened, as long as it dissapates fairly quick after rinsing in water, it's all good.

I believe I read on here that there are people that let them age for 45 days in the cryo pack for competitions

Dave Russell I purchased a Brisket today that had the meat fat funk to it LOL, but after I rinsed it it was perfect...Luckily the Wife was gone or she woulda told me to take it back...I myself would take the quess work out of this and go on ahead and freeze it.. Safe than Sorry!!!

I have let some of my briskets sit in the back of the fridge for over 30 days in cryo pack its ok .. lol we got a 3rd in comp..

I have let some of my briskets sit in the back of the fridge for over 30 days in cryo pack its ok .. lol we got a 3rd in comp..

I'll defer to the expert. Congrats on ya'll's 3rd place win, bbq lover! Cryo is a good thing, huh?! I just wish Sam's would start carrying those Snake River Waganu or wag a whatever top shelf briskets at a price that us po' folks could afford!:pray:

I don't think it takes away much flavor when you freeze something for just a short time. Why would you want to take a chance on such a nice gift.

I recently went to Restaurant Depot to purchase Brisket for a competition. The individual briskets for sale in the cases have a sticker that has a standard sell/use by date of about a week or so. The cases of briskets above however have an origination date on them. The case I selected had an origination date of about 2 weeks prior. I didn't want a whole case so the guy said he would slap a sticker on it and it was given the standard 7 day code on the sticker. My point is these places by cases of these briskets and sell thim within a month or so and slap on a 7 day sticker whenever they put them out for individual sale, regardless of the case date. I certainly do not think freezing is necessary. We won 2nd place in brisket by the way...

I don't think it takes away much flavor when you freeze something for just a short time. Why would you want to take a chance on such a nice gift.

Bought one today at Costco in the cryovac that has 3 more weeks to sell by, you should be fine.

Some odd responses to your original post Cahuskey. You might post the same question on the catering thread to get their opinions. Dave Russell seemed to have a pretty good thought about it. I do think finding the original packing date, if possible would be very helpful. Keeping meat in any frig is still about aging within certain temperature ranges. Hope the catering folk will chime in. Sounds like you will be just fine bro. If we never hear from you after this....well we will know it set in the frig too long.:sorry:

I know teams that age their briskets for up to 30 days in the fridge before a comp... I have never tried it however..but I think it should be fine

Thanks for all the responses. Turns out Im going to have time to cook that bad boy today afterall!!

I once cooked 48 packers, each at an average of 13 pounds, all in under 5 hours start to finish and they were tender as all get out.. all 48 were sliced and taken home within 42 minutes so, what - 6 hours including prep if I don't trim and have 4 people

I recently went to Restaurant Depot to purchase Brisket for a competition. The individual briskets for sale in the cases have a sticker that has a standard sell/use by date of about a week or so. The cases of briskets above however have an origination date on them. The case I selected had an origination date of about 2 weeks prior. I didn't want a whole case so the guy said he would slap a sticker on it and it was given the standard 7 day code on the sticker. My point is these places by cases of these briskets and sell thim within a month or so and slap on a 7 day sticker whenever they put them out for individual sale, regardless of the case date. I certainly do not think freezing is necessary. We won 2nd place in brisket by the way...

Got a partial case, eh? Good to hear from someone who actually knows what he's doing in a mass cook. Best post so far.

Last edited:
Back