Competition Pork Question

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After looking at my notes and making some observations after my last pork practice cook i have a question:
I cook my pork to roughly 195 degrees (after 185 i go by probe feel more than actual temp) I have noticed that the "edge" portions, including the " money muscle" tend to be overdone by the time the internal region of the but is done. Is there a way to prevent this? Only thing i could think of is cook till the "money muscle" and most other areas with good bark are tender, and stop there. This would leave the internal portion not tender yet, but they could be put back on the smoker after turn in, or taken home and finished later. I don't notice it being an issue all of the time, but it has been enough of an issue to continue to annoy me. Thanks for the help

I agree with your thought on it. Cook as deep as you need to get it done nicely and finish the rest later.

I agree.. in a contest setting, I'm more concerned about the tenderness of the areas where I select the turn-in pieces from. Dead center in the middle of the box will likely never be a first choice to submit.

Good Luck !!

Take the money muscle off wrap it and put it in the hot box. Then keep cooking the rest of the butt.

Take the money muscle off wrap it and put it in the hot box. Then keep cooking the rest of the butt.

According to KCBS that would be reason for disqualification. You can not part a but or shouler and return to the cooking, from what I understand. That would be way to easy!!!

Wouldn't that only be an issue if you decide to use the meat that was returned to the cooker in the actual turn in box ?

Wouldn't that only be an issue if you decide to use the meat that was returned to the cooker in the actual turn in box ?

Probably. I am not sure how crazy they get. Mosy people I watch pull or slice and return it to the cooker anyway. But you are probably right.

That opens the door for a misunderstanding I wouldn't want to be a part of. Pork is inexpensive enough that I'll buy another butt when I get home.

After looking at my notes and making some observations after my last pork practice cook i have a question:
I cook my pork to roughly 195 degrees (after 185 i go by probe feel more than actual temp) I have noticed that the "edge" portions, including the " money muscle" tend to be overdone by the time the internal region of the but is done. Is there a way to prevent this? Only thing i could think of is cook till the "money muscle" and most other areas with good bark are tender, and stop there. This would leave the internal portion not tender yet, but they could be put back on the smoker after turn in, or taken home and finished later. I don't notice it being an issue all of the time, but it has been enough of an issue to continue to annoy me. Thanks for the help

I agree with your thought on it. Cook as deep as you need to get it done nicely and finish the rest later.

I agree.. in a contest setting, I'm more concerned about the tenderness of the areas where I select the turn-in pieces from. Dead center in the middle of the box will likely never be a first choice to submit.

Good Luck !!
This is what I do... Select what I want to turn in, re-wrap and cambro the rest... Once the box is on the way to judging the remaining butt can go back on the smoker for finishing but not until after the official turn in time... I too don't want to take any chances on a misunderstanding...

Had never turned in just the money muscle...guess that is why we haven't won:lol: Started cooking it (muscle) to temp and slicing, no significant improvement in scores. Got a new plan for this year...gonna try it for a few comps and if still tanking will go with just the money muscle. Thanks

Back