Vacuum sealer food saver etc... questions

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have noticed that there are basically two sizes of sealers. A narrow one and a wider one. The smaller one will use the pint and quart size bags or rolls (8"), where the wider one will take the gallon or wide (11") rolls.

I saw a FoodSaver Essential Series V485 on my local Craigslist for $25. Does anyone know which size this one is. I am looking for a wide model. I looked on the FS site, but they do not list it any more, and so far I can't find anything on the web.

Here is the the complete listing:
FoodSaver Essential Series V485. Brand new, box unopened. Originally $50. Home Vacuum Packaging System. Locks out air & moisture and prevents freezer burn. Includes 10 feet of bag material. Hands-free operation, Easy Clean Antibacterial Drip Tray, Stainles Steel Finish. Cash Only. Got two for Christmas so I need to get rid of one!

thanks,
Bill

I don't know much about that particular model but if it handles the 11" bags it certainly can handle the 8", $50 sounds like a steal---jump on it before it goes away.

According to this site that model can use the 11" roll.

I don't know much about that particular model but if it handles the 11" bags it certainly can handle the 8", $50 sounds like a steal---jump on it before it goes away.

Newbie, thanks. That was what I was hoping for.

Porky, it said originally was $50, they are asking $25.... that makes it even better....

Email has already been sent.... I went ahead and sent it to see if it was still available. It it ended up the smaller unit, I could always just say no thanks. Now I will jump on it if it is still there.... Will see.

Thanks for the info.
Bill

[FONT=arial,geneva]"Yes, still available. I've had a number of people ask about it but no one
who's followed up. Let me know if you'd like it..."

Guess who is going to get it ! ! ! ! ! ! and for $25...... :p :rolleyes: :twisted:

Just waiting for the reply email for directions.....
[/FONT]

A little off the subject, but has anyone tried the Reynolds Handi-Vac? So far I have vacuum packed bacon, pork chops and left over chicken. It holds a vacuum really good, even in the freezer (so far). A cheaper alternative to the bigger vacuum packers (although $25.00 is a hell of a deal).

A little off the subject, but has anyone tried the Reynolds Handi-Vac? So far I have vacuum packed bacon, pork chops and left over chicken. It holds a vacuum really good, even in the freezer (so far). A cheaper alternative to the bigger vacuum packers (although $25.00 is a hell of a deal).

Yes, I have been playing around with the Handy-suc for a month or so now, and am really impressed. It does pull a good vac, and seems to hold well, in fridge and freezer.
Since it is battery powered, and hand-held, it takes no space on counter, but is available for easy use. I find my self using it a lot.

Also, I have given one to three different relatives since I got mine.

For 10.00 bucks, it is hard to beat for small jobs.

I have used the Handi-Vac as well and have been impressed so far. For small jobs it does a great job - espescially for $10 - plus the special bags - which are re-useable.

Oh...and the Foodsaver for $25 seems like a great deal.

Any idea on the price of bags for the Handi-Vac? Not sure I'd go to Walmart for one, but would sure put it on the Wife's list...:shock:

I got home with the new toy a little bit ago. Yes, I had to play with it already..... I know, I wasted time not letting you know. Nice looking unit, quiet running, and not all that big. I am really impressed with it. Black with stainless trim. And all for $25.

I will have to get a pic for you all. And yes, still in original box, sealed and ready to go. Came with the video, hose attachment, 11" x 10' starter roll, nice reference guide and quick tips. I went ahead and registered it online and they say I should receive some free gifts for doing so. Will see.

Now for the Reynolds one. I have one, got an extra box of the quart bags and the gallon bags. It is ok, but I was not really super impressed with it. I had several bags that sealed, but overnight would loose it seal. I even vacuumed them out again, same thing. Apparently, some of the bags are not real tight sealing. So I figured in the long run, you get what you pay for. And the bags are not cheap either. Seems like 8 bags were like 4 bucks. Somewhere around there....

I have a feeling I will need to make a run for a couple rolls of bag material one day real soon.....:eek:

Did anyone notice all the adds at the bottom of the page are for vacuum sealers?

I went ahead and registered it online and they say I should receive some free gifts for doing so. Will see.:eek:

Free gifts are coupons for refill rolls and other products for your new Suckerator. And a combination refrigerator magnet/letter opener! Give'em your email and they'll send you e-coupons. A small price to pay for your recent promotion to the position of Suckmaster General of your household.

Mike
Suckmaster General of MY house

Yes, I have been playing around with the Handy-suc for a month or so now, and am really impressed. It does pull a good vac, and seems to hold well, in fridge and freezer.
Since it is battery powered, and hand-held, it takes no space on counter, but is available for easy use. I find my self using it a lot.

Also, I have given one to three different relatives since I got mine.

For 10.00 bucks, it is hard to beat for small jobs.

pssst...qman is playing with his battery powered handy suc!:eusa_clap

Back