Am I overthinking this?

mrpigs

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just tossed a couple racks on the stick burner to try out some black cherry that I cut and split last week.

I've never paid much attention to this before, but while I was placing them on the grate I noticed that they would kind of stretch out some.

This got me wondering, is it better to let them stretched out or to bunch them up a little?

I've never seen this discussed anywhere and was wondering if it would make a difference and curious to see how others do it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• KIMG0155.jpg
    KIMG0155.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 216
Killer Hogs has a video where he says to push together. I remember seeing it in the video and he explained why, but I just don't remember why it was. I will say I have been pushing mine together since I saw that video.

Tuffy Stone talked about this during his BBQ class, and his method was to spread them out when applying your rub, and to squeeze them together when putting them on the smoker. The theory is that the meat will cook exactly how you place it on the smoker, so for thicker looking ribs push them together. I cook 24+ racks at a time, so I push them together just to save space on the smoker.

I always pushed them together until I started hanging ribs. Now I have no choice :-D

But, I haven't noticed any difference in the end result.

Tuffy Stone talked about this during his BBQ class, and his method was to spread them out when applying your rub, and to squeeze them together when putting them on the smoker. The theory is that the meat will cook exactly how you place it on the smoker, so for thicker looking ribs push them together. I cook 24+ racks at a time, so I push them together just to save space on the smoker.

Makes perfect sense, thanks again.

Just the kind of info I was looking for.

I always pushed them together until I started hanging ribs. Now I have no choice :-D

But, I haven't noticed any difference in the end result.

Since I own a PBC I also hang them. but rather than letting them stretch out I bind them very well together with duct tape so that they cook more evenly.. I started out using glue but that seemed to affect the flavor somewhat. :crazy:

Whenever I catch myself saying "I'm probably overthinking this", I'm usually right.

I was told "lay them straight- they way they lay is the way they cook" but nothing about smooshing or stretching.

I prefer to bunch up. Bunch or stretch - they come off the way they go on, so it is worth finding which you prefer.

Since I own a PBC I also hang them. but rather than letting them stretch out I bind them very well together with duct tape so that they cook more evenly.. I started out using glue but that seemed to affect the flavor somewhat. :crazy:
Like I said in another thread... the C stands for "can't" :pound:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back