Curved Boning Knife for trimming brisket, ribs and so on.

DFoster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I LOVE this Shun. Just a few passes on a leather strop, maybe every 5-6 briskets.
Just be careful. It doesn't care what protein it cuts. First cousin doesn't ask if he can use my knives anymore.

Blade shape is perfect in my opinion for briskets. Tip is wicked to work into seams on hard white fat. Makes trimming a pleasure.
One of my most prized knives.

IMG_0484.jpg

fullsizeoutput_e09.jpg

Last edited:
DerHusker I have the same knife also, you sure we aren't related after seeing your pepper grinder!

The video is worthless and not worth watching.

I have the "flexible" version of that knife ^^^ I like it a lot. I also have a straight blade version and I never use it.

Between the two you posted I would probably go with the Shun, personally...mainly because I like the way it looks better.

Last edited:
I've got the Victorinox boning knife that Derhusker has and an old Rapala Fillet knife that I've had for years.

Either of those do the job quite well for me.

Rapala filet knife. Stole the idea from 16Adams.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Another happy Victorinox 6" Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife owner here.

DerHusker I have the same knife also, you sure we aren't related after seeing your pepper grinder!

The video is worthless and not worth watching.

Not Sure.

Do you also have a Primo XL Oval Kamado? If you do, we might be related or just living in parallel universes. :crazy:

6”stiff curved boning knife from WebstaurantStore. About $5.00 I believe, sharpened with ChefsChoice XV and cuts like a dream. Has been through several hundred pounds of deer and pork along with briskets and has only needed a steel to keep sharp.

Go with what feels good and what you are most comfortable with. Oh, and learn how to keep them scary sharp.

A collection of fillet knives are the big guns in my arsenal. Some 6" Rapala knives, both the black handle and wood (I prefer the wood), and some longer Kershaws maybe an 8" and 10". The 10" can make long passes on the outside of a brisket... but is flexible enough to fillet the fat off a chicken thigh skin.

As a side note, I've been testing a replaceable blace Havalon... It's a cool knife.

I stick with Dexter or Victorinox simply because they work. But if you're insistent on spending that high dollar money I'd go with the Shun. When you're getting into higher end knives you're looking at Japanese style versus European style. In my experience the Japanese blades feel better in my hand, and they are usually a few notches higher in harder as well (Rockwell hardness). Only problem is them being that much harder does make them a bit more brittle, so if you're clumsy (like me) I'd stick with European steel so you don't end up with chips in your pretty new knives (like I did).

Currently using the Rapala filet knife as well. Works well, but i think its an 8 or 10" blade. I am thinking of moving to a curved 6" Victorinox. I have their slicer and its a quality knife for a good price.

rb

I use a Henckels Classic 5.5" boning knife. Stays super sharp for awhile and is small and flexible. Only "issue" I have is the handle isn't as comfortable as some others as it's small. Doesn't really affect me unless I'm doing a ton of meat trimming. For $40 I am very happy with it as I am with the whole Classic set I have.

I also have a Bubba Blade 7". Love the comfort of the handle, the flexibility of it, and was crazy sharp out of the box. However, it doesn't hold an edge for near as long. I'm sharpening it constantly. I still use it a lot, but the Henckels is smaller and more manageable for brisket.

Back