Used some pistachios on the coals

ScreamingChicken

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I had some unshelled pistachio nuts that had gone stale so I last weekend I decided to try using them for smoke and flavor. The porterhouse, pork chop and potato shown here were seasoned with salt and pepper (plus a little oil for the potato) while I used salt, pepper, dried garlic, olive oil, and Italian seasoning for the portobello caps.

I used about half of the pistachios I had and at first they flared up, possibly from the oil in the nutmeats as a friend had suggested, but eventually they settled down and I was able to cook.

The steak was cooked direct and indirect, the pork chop direct, and the portobellos direct for the gills and indirect to melt the provolone cheese. The potatos were Idaho bakers and I microwaved them first but cooked them a little too much, as they got a little crumbly but the oil held them together enough to cook on a grill sheet.

For as active as the pistachios were when they first caught on fire I was surprised at how mild the flavor was, and I think I could've probably used the whole bowl. I don't think I'd go out and buy them just to use for smoking but it's not a bad way to use up ones that would otherwise go into the garbage.

Brad

very nice looking vittles...and thanks for the info on the pistachios.

My only problem is they never go stale.Soon as i open the bag i'll eat 'em all.

Back