Long Island BBQ Crawl

Pigtrip

Knows what a fatty is.
Two weekends ago I had the pleasure of joining a handful of Long Island Brethren on a barbecue crawl. The company was better than the barbecue, but it was a great time, especially the one non-barbecue joint.

Tennessee Jed's, Wantagh
(Pigtrip, Militant Squatter, Ribs n Wings, Motoeric, Mineola Fred)
Wings were good, especially the honey chipotle sauce that was so good we asked for some to go. The ribs had a nice texture but were mostly bland. Cornbread was warm, plush and easily the highlight of the meal.

Ruby's Famous, East Meadow
(Pigtrip, Militant Squatter, Ribs n Wings, Motoeric, Mineola Fred)Chili was very good, wings okay (more like Shake 'n' Bake than barbecue flavors) and everything else went down from there. Motoeric and I had a positive visit there a few months earlier, but there hasd been a change in pitmasters since then. one half rack of ribs were all shiners, the other half rack a sick pukey pale color. Brisket was dry and flavorless.

Hooters, East Meadow
(Pigtrip, Ribs n Wings, Motoeric, Mineola Fred)
No 'cue here, just liquids and eye candy. Much friendlier here than any other branch I've been to.

Hooters1-Dimples.jpg

Hooters1-Williedrinks.jpg

Hooters1-trio.jpg
http://www.pigtrip.net/photos/Hooters/Hooters1-trio.jpg

Bobbique, Patchogue
(Pigtrip, Ribs n Wings, Motoeric, Mineola Fred)
Chili was very good here too, as were the sides. The barbecue looked the part and was decent, but more "commercial" than the presentation would suggest.

Swingbelly's, Long Beach
(Pigtrip, Ribs n Wings, Motoeric, Mineola Fred, Militant Squatter, Sledneck and son)
Empanada special was dry, ribs were way overcooked to a blackened crisp, but at least the meat had flavor. Brisket was pulled rather than sliced because they ran out, would have been nice to know ahead of time. Pork just okay, chicken great, sides good, waitress hot.

Thanks for the great time, guys, with special thanks to Eric and Vinny for carting me around.

Great post not to mention the pron.
Sorry I had to bail on the Suffolk county leg of the crawl but look forward to the next one.
Best regards.
Wes

Back