Brisket Question?

getyourrubonbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I post this in Q Talk, but it should probably go here instead. Does anyone use dry aged briskets for comps or catering? If so what are your thoughts/pros, cons etc...I'm looking at using a local Angus farm to supply my beef and they have farm raised, hormone free certified Angus and will dry age the briskets for me. Thanks in advance!

I tried them and the taste is great although a little like pot roast. They cook faster and you probably need to experiment with pulling them at a slightly lower temp. They can fall apart real easy.

Remember that dry aging pulls more moisture out of beef and we all know we want to add it back in for competition.

Dry aging will make your cost go up a lot. You lose a lot of meat trimming after a proper dry age. I would say that aging any meat IMO tha is going to be cooked for 12 hours at 225-250 is a waste. Right out of the cryo into the smoker.

Dry aging will make your cost go up a lot. You lose a lot of meat trimming after a proper dry age. I would say that aging any meat IMO tha is going to be cooked for 12 hours at 225-250 is a waste. Right out of the cryo into the smoker.

I'm going to get one and try it out, but my thought was since it's aged it wouldn't need the full 12 hour treatment which is more or less done for tenderization along with being wrapped if desired. I've got my price locked in at $3.50 per lb.:wink:

For 3.50 a lb I'd have to at least do a test run or 2!!
I'm going to get one and try it out, but my thought was since it's aged it wouldn't need the full 12 hour treatment which is more or less done for tenderization along with being wrapped if desired. I've got my price locked in at $3.50 per lb.:wink:

Back