Late start for the brisket and rib smoke......:-/

phahn17

Reaction score
Well, I'm doing Easter today with the family, decided to do two briskets and three racks of spares. Was supposed to have the fire going steady and the briskets on by 7 in hopes to be ready around 5-6pm well didn't get the briskets on until about 8( alarm forgot to go off lol) well temp is steady at 225 and I'm praying I make the 6pm deadline.......

Smoking on Oklahoma joes longhorn, one 8.25lbs and one 7.5lbs flats

Kick the heat to 270-ish! You'll get them done in time to rest, and the outcome will be better.

Why not bump the temperature up a little? If you're starting at 225° it seems like you've got some room to work with.

Got the draft door on the firebox open all the way, and stack about halfway, can't get the temps up over 230. Burning some more lump down to throw in there ASAP, hopefully I can get it up

Wrap the meat at 160* to avoid the stall, should shave off a couple of hours.

Got the draft door on the firebox open all the way, and stack about halfway, can't get the temps up over 230. Burning some more lump down to throw in there ASAP, hopefully I can get it up

Leave the exhaust all the way open during cooking. If you need to, open up the firebox door a bit to let more air in. You mentioned "lump". You are using a stick burner right? Where's the sticks?

Stack full open now, got lump coal with a stick or two of mesquite for smoke in fire box, have extra coal in a fire pit burning now for backup

Kick that thing up to 300 your looking at about 50 min Lb for planing purposes if you go neked, or wrap at 4 hrs into the cook and you will be done in less than 2 hrs after tucking them in.

I never have wrapped before can someone explain?
Only time i ever saw wrapped it ended up coming out like it was almost oven baked and stringy?

If you can't get the temp up to the 275 range, just smoke it 5-6 hours and then foil and go into the oven. At that point it has taken on all the smoke it is going to and heat is heat. Done brisket out of the oven is better than tough brisket finished in the pit.

Only time i ever saw wrapped it ended up coming out like it was almost oven baked and stringy?

Wrap in un waxed butcher paper(waxed may work, but i dont think so, others will be able to tell you) Or foil around 160. Its essentially speeds up the cook.

When the brisket hits 160 wrap in foil so no juices can get out. You will not have a crispy bark but the meat turns out really nice and juicy. For the ribs only wrap for 1 1/2 -2 hours then unfoil sauce if you like and cook for another 45min -1 hour untill they firm up.

I like this guy already lol.

Ok, pits holding steady right at 300, internal on the briskets is about 140 in the fatest part, need these guys off the pit at 5pm

Should I have to wrap, I'd honestly rather not, but will if necessary.....

Give me y'all's opinions guys

Thanks!!!

It's hard to say if you'll make it by 5, but cruising at 300 will increase the odds quite a bit. When cooking that hot, the stall will be much shorter than if you were cooking at 225ish.

I'd keep an eye on 'em, cuz once they power though the stall, temps will rise fairly fast.

At those temps watch the bark color. If your rub has sugar in it the bark can burn. Foiling when the bark is the color that you like will prevent burning.

Back