Where no ham has gone before the sequal

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, we've got this leftover smoked uncured but brined ham and we're thinking beans for sure. Boatnut posted a 15 bean soup he made and we thought, perfect! Redhot bought the 15 bean mix and some assorted useful stuff on the way home yesterday. My boss also sent me home early yesterday cuz I was having a pretty bad coughing fit and told me not to come back til I saw the doctor which I did this morning and yes a relapse had occured so more antibiotics and cough syrup but I digress.
I rinsed the dry beans and put them in the slow cooker with three courts (edit - um QUARTS) of the stock we made a couple days ago. Then added 1 ten oz can of rotel, 1 fifteen oz can of diced tomatos, a tbs of chili powder and about 1 1/2 lbs of the smoked pork. After 6 hours I added three stalks od celery with the leaves and a medium onion both chopped, about 4 cloves of minced garlic and another couple fist sized pieces of the pork cubed. Oh, and a few dashes of balsamic vinegar. Here's what we've got so far. I'll be making my cornbread to accompany.

soup.jpg

Another couple shots to follow when the soups done and the cornbread's made. So far it's pretty farking yummy I have to admit.

Then added 1 1/2 lbs of the smoked pork. After 6 hours I added three stalks od celery with the leaves and a medium onion both chopped, about 4 cloves of minced garlic and another couple fist sized pieces of the pork cubed.

soup.jpg

QUOTE]

Wow, sounds like it's gonna turn out to be a pork-n-bean soup instead of bean soup! And "od" celery huh?
"Another couple shots to follow"
Sounds like you've had a couple of shots of something already there baby!:shock::becky:

"Another couple shots to follow"
Sounds like you've had a couple of shots of something already there baby!:shock::becky:

For purely medicinal purposes I assure you. Hey! I'm off work after all.:becky:

OutStanding PorkyHam and Bean Soup!!!!
I'd like two bowls to start with, please!!!
Oh!! And Some Corn Bread too!!!!

OutStanding PorkyHam and Bean Soup!!!!
I'd like two bowls to start with, please!!!
Oh!! And Some Corn Bread too!!!!

Yep, looks like something that will definitely cure whatever ails ya! Besides, nothing is better than leftover soup. :becky:

This appears to have made about eight quarts so y'all is welcome to come on down.:becky:

Oh, here's the stock we made. From Redhot's post:

As for those lovely, huge bones; they're simmering in our 12 quart stock pot with fresh thyme, rosemary, sage, garlic cloves, bay leaves, onion, black pepper corns, celery and 3 of Ashmont's magical Kaskasian peppers. Will be making some kind of soup and some beans and Phroast very soon!

DSC03713.jpg

OK, 2 cups yeller corn mix, couple tbs olive oil, two large eggs and 1 3/4 cup butter milk with a healthy dose of red pepper flakes tossed in later in a 10 inch cast iron skillet into a 400 degree oven:

cornbread.jpg

OK! After 18 minutes Mr. Toothpick says were done so off to a butter bath

butter.jpg

And then about 2 minutes under 500 degree broil we're ready!

finished.jpg

Pure goodness right there. A bowl of warmth and a slice of cornbread, dot to dot me in:thumb:. Ya'll did a killer job on that big old ham too!!

OK, here's my bowl. I decided to grate some cheddar cheese, put a dollop of Mexican plain yogurt and some sliced pickled jalapenos I put up in August on top. Some more butter in the sliced corn bread...BTW, this is probably the best corn bread I've made in I don't know when. This is the first time I've used the 10 inch skillet and it made the CB so much more moist. I'll never use the 12 inch skillet again.:-D

served.jpg

Oh, Redhot said this was the best soup she's ever had. She said she didn't need to doctor it up any after it was bowled. Can I get a yeeha?

I must say, no matter how good that pic is, it just does not do this soup justice! It didn't turn out to be a pork-n-beans soup like I thought it may when I read how much more pork he put into it this afternoon (I was still at work and didn't see it til I got home). It was perfect! A perfect balance of meat and beans and herbs and spices. It is rare that I don't put anything at all in/on all of my food (pepper usually) but I added nothing but the cheese and jalapenos and only on top. This stuff was the bomb! And the cornbread was melt in your mouth wonderful, and spicy with the red pepper flakes! What a great thing to come home to after a long day at work - and he was sick to boot, how sweet of him! The cleaning lady at work is gonna love me cause there is so much I'm takinig her a big tupperware container full of soup and some cornbread tomorrow. She got curious one day when she was emptying the trash in my cubicle and saw what I had pulled up on my compter at work; it was one of my TD entries and all she could say was "mmm, mmm, what is that you're looking at?" So I brought her some of that cook the next day and she was so appreciative. Then I found out she's pregnant so now everytime we do a big cook I take her some because she really seems to enjoy our food and I love sharing it with her.

Back