Bacon's T-Day Feast {Sponsored by Evan Williams}

Bacon

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
004.jpg

Well, I had a frozen turkey thaw in the bottom rack of the fridge for about 4 days and planned on smoking it. Though I only have a kettle and I really dont have all of the time to do a whole bird. I decided to cut the breast plate out and also the wings and legs. The wings and legs I will use for greens in the future when I cook them.

Googled the proper way to do this and stumbled upon this site. You all might know him around here by the name of thirdeye.:wink:

I knew I was at the right place.

While performing surgery on this bird I knew immediately that I have made the same mistake many of several times by not buying utility shears when I had the opp. :icon_blush:

I had to use a cheap serrated knife to saw through the bones. Didnt take too much effort but more than I wanted to lean into it.

Finally got it trimmed how I wanted, and cut off the legs and wings. Made up a rub I found after googling for one. Pulled the skin back on the legs and also on the breasts. Seasoned the meat and then the skin as I pulled it back in place.

I didnt leave as much skin on either as I now know, but still in all it was looking good.

Put em all on the kettle at about 320, K and apple wood. Followed the guide and pulled at 155.

During this process. I made my moms 5 generation Dressing, homemade Potato casserole, homemade Pumpkin pie, English peas, Giblet gravy ...

I double smoked my ham on sunday with Jack Daniels hickory chips, so that has been waiting on me in the fridge.

And after all of this, I now have a greater respect for my mother, my grandmother, and all of those that cook for Thanksgiving. It takes a lot of time ( and timing ) to get all of this stuff together and to taste good.

I started around 11 a.m. ate at 11 p.m. and immediatedly feel asleep. I spoke silly in a woodpile thread by Ron L, pertaining to nothing at all,
(Evan Williams mod) and it was clearly pointed out by our own trp1fox, but there was a truth in that post.

"And Whiskey minutes are a tad longer than a regular minutes." :lol:

Thats a huge reason for falling asleep so fast after eating. Didnt eat during the day neither.

After all of the story, heres the pron.....

Thanksgiving

039.jpg

046.jpg

081.jpg

083.jpg

137.jpg

174.jpg

049.jpg

052.jpg

055.jpg

057.jpg

066.jpg

133.jpg

112.jpg

097.jpg

005.jpg

018-1.jpg

125.jpg

074.jpg

155.jpg

190.jpg

205.jpg

Bacon, you are the man!! Great Pron!!

WOW! That's a killer lookin' T-Day line up bro! Great job! :biggrin:

Well Jason,
That's a nice cook and great pron inspired by a good sponsor.
Keep up the good work,
Enjoy.

Food looks awesome. Cornbread dressing looks really good, you nailed the right crumble w/out making it mush. Did you saute the veggies, or just straight in the dressing? Thanks, John

I was sold on the first pic, everything after that was goodnes. Thanks:icon_bigsmil

I think I can cook. But you guys give cooking a new meaning. Yours should be called ' Gourmet Cooking'. You can't use ordinary terms anymore. Gives us guys that just do one thing a bad name. OK. So, if you come with all types of beautiful food ( not just smoked meats), and pretty table clothes and wine and all that fancy stuff, Your cooking will be called 'GOURMET pron'.

Maybe we should change the quote to "anything done by bacon is better than not being done by bacon"... Well, maybe not, but a damn fine job amigo!

Bacon! Yeah! Cornbread Dressing. I love cornbread dressing. But since my wife doesn't and she's in charge of Thanksgiving I get bread stuffing. I love her stuffing, but it's not cornbread.

Thanks for the memories.

Bacon,

You have just illustrated why the Weber kettle is a must have for any cook. You took a basic tool, and made a masterpiece!

Back