Favorite Dry Rubs

I make my own butt and brisket rubs, as well as my own butt, brisket, and chicken sauces.

That said, I just ordered some Plowboys Yardbird and Bovine Bold from Great Lakes BBQ Supply. I've used the Yardbird before, and am curious about the Bovine Bold. I have a feeling it will be a lot like my brisket rub.

"The Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe from the book Smoke & Spice.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Southern Succor Rub[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup paprika[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup Turbinado sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 Tablespoons table salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 teaspoons dry mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 teaspoon cayenne pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Mix ingredients thoroughly. Makes enough rub for one pork butt, with some leftover for use in the Southern Sop.[/FONT]

Anyone else care to comment on other really good recipes from Smoke & Spice?

I buy some at a local farmer's market from a guy who goes by the name "Salty Don". He makes and uses smoked salt in his rubs. I also use a bunch of recipes from the Fine Cooking site. And I have Jim Tarantino's book Marinades, Rubs, Brines, cures & Glazes, and I'm fond of his North African Cumin Spice Rub. An astoundingly simple rub is za'atar spice from a local store, mixed with a little olive oil.

Keep notes, experiment, have fun. I'm looking at a page of Tarantino right now, and I want to try all of these: orange-chile powder rub; ancho-espresso dry rub; ancho-cocoa dry rub; lemon-espresso rub. The ancho-cocoa one is surely for either beef or turkey (ancient Mexicans reserved that to their emperors!). Chicken or pork with the others.

On salmon the other night, I used:
2T red-wine and garlic mustard, mixed with
2T olive oil,
1/2 t fresh ground toasted cumin,
1/2 t New Mexico chili,
and salt and fresh ground black pepper.

I liked it, so did my wife.

Last edited:
This is great...does anyone know of a similar thread on wet rubs or marinades?

Back