Restoration Question

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have obtained an old New Braunfels horizontal. I think it is a silver smoker, not sure. Hondo maybe? Dunno. It has the "NB made in USA badge", and a wooden slat shelf in front of the smoke chamber. Anyway, I'd like to restore it a bit, to either keep or pass along.

There is the usual rust and paint flaking you would expect. The rust is mostly outside, paint flaking is mostly inside, even in the smoke chamber. (It looks someone used the smoke box as a grilling chamber as well, which is fine, it has just done a little bit of a number on the paint.) The hinges, on both firebox and smoke box move, but are pretty tough.

So there have been a few good threads on this type of stuff, such as this one:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18872

But, I have a simple question or two, that may be obvious.

A) I have 1300 degree grill paint to use. For the outside, this is pretty simple. I am going to fire up the smoker, let it warm and cool a little. I'll knock what rust off I can, and coat the thing in the 1300*. The inside is a little more tricky. I will have to get all the paint that is flaking off, as well as minor rust. Do I still paint that with the 1300* stuff as well on the inside? Could I just get away with cleaning the inside and re-seasoning it instead of painting?

2) Regarding the hinges. They are a little sticky. Will veg oiling them help enough to restore them to working order, or is there something else I should do? They are welded in place, so I can not remove them to clean and rust spots off the hinge pins, etc.

Thanks for any input.

The inside is probably not paint it reside for smoking. Dont paint the inside. Spray or wipe on a cooking oil and crank up the smoker.

If I were you I would simply get as much flaked paint off the walls and out of the smoking chamber as possible. I would spray the smoking chamber with pam and season the cooker at 350* for about 30 minutes. The grilling chamber is now seasoned and should not need painting. Do not use vegtable oil on the hinges. It will stink to high heavens when the oil goes rancid. Instead use some 3 in 1 oil or a drop of cutting oil to work the hinges until they work free.

wd 40 for the hinges and follow the oil and season advise for the cooking chamber

G$- I'm no expert, but I just finished refurbishing and modifying a NB offset myself. Take a before and after picture with the new paint job, because the paint is going to burn off the firebox and thats just a given. Don't paint the inside of the cook chamber, just wire brush off the crud and re-season. If you need any tips PM me.

Yep. Exactly what they said!
Good to see we are all on the same page.

swamprb said:
G$- I'm no expert, but I just finished refurbishing and modifying a NB offset myself. Take a before and after picture with the new paint job, because the paint is going to burn off the firebox and thats just a given. Don't paint the inside of the cook chamber, just wire brush off the crud and re-season. If you need any tips PM me.

Thanks to everyone. Of course exterior paint will not last (evidenced by my Bandera) but I would still like to spruce it up. This is the exact answer I was looking for.

Back