What to Charge?

HouseofSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I for family and a few close friends make whole smoked T-bone/strip loin I was recently asked to make 3 for a wedding for the daughter of a Friend, I am trying to find out about what I should charge her per pound, any ideas are greatly appreciated

If you are not a licensed caterer, give the situation some serious thought....

Whenever you cook and sell food, even for a friend, you should be aware of the laws and the risks involved. By ignoring these and not investigating the legal requirements for any food sale, you are putting yourself at a great risk. Ignorance of the laws and regulations is not a defense, in fact it will just help to build a stronger case against you if something should go wrong.

If it's truly a friend, just cook the food for him and keep yourself out of the equation.

In a case like this I would have your friend or his daughter purchase the product and then pay you a fee for cooking it. This will cover your expenses and reduce your liability. I'm just up the road from kannapolis and have family in Landis so if you ever need a t-bone taster I'll be there:wink:

Any formula for sales price is based on costs. In restaurants many will say charge 3 times what the cost of food is, because in operating a business this will usually cover all the operating costs and still give a 5-20% profit. But you arent paying for insurance, a license, payroll taxes, workers comp, etc. So calculate what it will cost you buy the meat and supplies you need and add some profit for yourself, thats your price.

In a case like this I would have your friend or his daughter purchase the product and then pay you a fee for cooking it. This will cover your expenses and reduce your liability. I'm just up the road from kannapolis and have family in Landis so if you ever need a t-bone taster I'll be there:wink:

My husband grew up in the China Grove/ Landis area y'all may know each other or at least each others people :)

Back