Pulling Pork?

SteelSmokin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here's the question I smoked a pork butt on Sunday but didn't pull it I want to do it tonight do I reheat it or just do it cold then reheat witch seems like the hard way any opinions?

When I prepare a Pork Shoulder for serving a a future date I do the following.

1. I pull the meat while it's hot.
2. I then take softball size handfulls and wrap them in plastic wrap. Be very carefull to not pack it together. You want it loose so that the heat escapes quickly, you need to move it from 140 degrees to 40 degrees (the danger zone when germs grow) as quickly as possible.
3. I place the balls with space between them on a cookie sheet and then set that in the freezer. I don't let them freeze but keep checking them until they get to 40.
4. At forty degrees the balls are gathered and placed into either plastic tupperware, the disposable kind, or 2 gallon zip loct bags and placed in the fridge.
5. If I'm reheating all of it I would use a dutch oven with a tight lid, add 1/4 cup of water or liquid of choice to create a moist environment. Put the lid on it and into to the oven at 200 to 225.
6. Service when it is back over 160. Stir now and again.
7. I use the dutch oven as the mother load and transfer smaller batches to a crock pot to keep it hot and serve from.

Hope that helps, if the entire Butt is already chilled I'l sure someone will chime in.

I always pull mine right out of the smoker because it is easier. Are you going to use the whole butt for a meal then reheat and pull. if only some of it I would cut some off and then reheat then pull. A lot better to pull warm. it can be done cold just more work.

I am hoping to smoke a pork shoulder this weekend. What temperature do you let the meat get to before pulling?

The FDA recommends pork to be at 160 before consuming, I usually like to take it a bit higher than that at 190*, then I take it off drum, let it rest, and then pull.

If your going to pull the pork you really should get it to 190-195 degrees if you want to slice it about 175 will do the trick. Also I always put mine wrapped in foil into a cooler for at least 1.5 hours before pulling or slicing.

Back