Can you name the top 10 brands of competition smokers?

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum (and to smoking). Would like to start saving up and get me a very nice smoker (stick burner......trailer model). I have no idea what the most popular brands are. Thus far, I've heard of Lang and Traeger. Can you guys help me with some more to consider? Thanks!
Danny

Lang
Klose
Spicewine
Backwoods
Superior
Stumps
Weber
Southern Yankee BBQ
Southern Pride
Old Hickory

I must admit that I know nothing about competition smokers but I have seen some on TV :) I would imagine that a lot of the ones I see are custom made. I know I see a lot of trailered smokers on craigslist that are homebrew projects..

Done forget the jambo

J3-1_op_669x446.jpg

Then there are Diamond Plate Products and Gator pits, both excellent pits.

In no particular order...

Cookshack (FEC line)
Jambo
Weber
Old Hickory
Backwoods
Spicewine
Stumps
Lang
Klose
Gator

and then here are some that you see based certain well know teams like Yoder, Jack's Old South, Peoria Custom Cookers and some that are regional.

A "very nice" trailer to me suggests either a Jambo or a Klose.

I can't argue with the lists above. One I did not see mentioned is a simple home built drum smoker aka UDS.

Just google bbq smokers you will find every shape and style. But remember there have been a lot of good bbq cook on concrete blocks and rebar.

Mine
Mine
Mine
Mine
Lang
Spicewine
Jambo
Mine
Mine
Mine
:becky:

Can you name the top 10 brands of competition smokers?

Yep...HUMAN...:twisted:...top 10 teams in the 2011 KCBS TOY standings to date are...

1. MUNCHIN HOGS@THE HILTON...
2. QUAU
3. 4 Legs Up BBQ
4. Swine Assassins
5. Butcher BBQ
6. CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE BBQ
7. All Sauced Up
8. Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ
9. Pellet Envy
10. Rhythm 'n Que

Seriously now...your question is totally subjective to personal opinion. It is the expertise of the "Pitmasters" using all the smokers out there to win...the smoker (whatever brand) is just a tool. :cool: That said...if I were to purchase a trailer mounted "stick burner" for competition it would be a Jambo Pit by Jamie Geer...:thumb: My 2 cents...:becky:

Most of them have been mentioned already, but there are plenty of teams out there using and winning with Green Eggs, Webers, and Drums.

Most of them have been mentioned already, but there are plenty of teams out there using and winning with Green Eggs, Webers, and Drums.

Ahh yes, but the OP specifically stated STICK burner. A lot of the ones listed do not fall in that category.

Cheers

Peoria is another great smoker. The Rolls, imho of any listed would have to be Jambos. Very nice is every aspect, from design to final product. Jamie, being a cook also knows what's needed. As said though it's not all the pit. Steve.

Ahh yes, but the OP specifically stated STICK burner. A lot of the ones listed do not fall in that category.

Cheers

No, he did not.

Title: Can you name the top 10 brands of competition smokers?

I'm new to the forum (and to smoking). Would like to start saving up and get me a very nice smoker (stick burner......trailer model). I have no idea what the most popular brands are. Thus far, I've heard of Lang and Traeger. Can you guys help me with some more to consider? Thanks!
Danny

Notice the stick burner is in parentheses, meaning a suggestion. Also he mentions Traeger which is not a stick burner.

I am partial to Klose & Gator as I have visited both shops to ogle the product in fabrication and chat up Dave from Klose and Ritch from Gator. Both make a fine product. I am glad I live in Houston so I can drop by and eyeball the goods and dream of a bigger, badder cooker.

Not to burst anybody's bubble, including my own, but if I bought a Ferrari it wouldn't make me a better driver. I would just look cooler and get to the meat market that much faster. Same goes with a trailer mounted stick burner - only looks good unless you know how it handles.

I am partial to Klose & Gator as I have visited both shops to ogle the product in fabrication and chat up Dave from Klose and Ritch from Gator. Both make a fine product. I am glad I live in Houston so I can drop by and eyeball the goods and dream of a bigger, badder cooker.

Not to burst anybody's bubble, including my own, but if I bought a Ferrari it wouldn't make me a better driver. I would just look cooler and get to the meat market that much faster. Same goes with a trailer mounted stick burner - only looks good unless you know how it handles.

Look at it another way. Try taking a Toyota Tercel into a corner at 60mph versus the Ferrari. Fact is, a Ferrari will handle better and get you in and outta situations quicker - the Toyata would land you in the weeds if not completely outta the race.

If a pit holds temp better, it will certainly produce a better product in my opinion, and that may be interpreted as making you a better cook.

I'm justifying my own purchase here... :-D

Back