First Fatty - Pizza Style

Ok, that was much better than I thought it would be. No explosions, so it looked pretty (enough for me), and all sorts of tasty flavors. Almost tasted like the filling of a really good Calzone, just without the crust. Wife even liked it, so I can see myself adding this to my rotation...

Thanks for the idea and all the help! :clap2:

Attachments

• fatty 10.jpg
    fatty 10.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 93
  • fatty 11.jpg
    fatty 11.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 278
  • fatty 12.jpg
    fatty 12.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 93
That looks great, like it was done by an old pro! Now the next one won't be as stressful for you:-D:thumb:
What pit temp, how long a cook, what IT and what kind of wood? Was the bacon crispy? We need details!

Last edited:
That looks great, like it was done by an old pro! Now the next one won't be as stressful for you:-D:thumb:
What pit temp, how long a cook, what IT and what kind of wood? Was the bacon crispy? We need details!

Thanks. I did this on my WSM with KBB and all vents wide open. Water pan foiled and a clay pot base also foiled inside it. I used the flame thrower to light a layer across the top of the coals and gave it about 20 minutes until there was no smoke coming out the top and my temps were around 260*. I added three pieces of pecan chunk and let them get going for another 10 mins. before I put the fatty on.

Maverick monitored the temps any where from 275* to 288*. I didn't really track the time, but I would guess it was around 2 hours, maybe 2.5. When the IT hit 165*, I used the flame thrower again to crisp up the bacon a little more. I didn't want flabby bacon, but I also didn't want it to crumble when I went to slice it. I probably could have torched it a little longer.

Thanks for all the help and moral support here, especially Cowgirl for her Fatty wisdom. I went back and forth to her page many times...

Back