FEC100 or Yoder YS640?

TosaJake

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking to dabble with a pellet smoker. I am thinking of buying a used FEC100 for between 2500-3000. This got me thinking (always dangerous) that for the same money I could get a new Yoder YS640 tricked out. So do I go with the capacity of the FEC100 or the versatility of the YS640? What would you do?

If you're living alone, the Yoder should probably do you fine. If you're married, you might want to go with something a bit larger. :roll:

Looking to dabble with a pellet smoker. I am thinking of buying a used FEC100 for between 2500-3000. This got me thinking (always dangerous) that for the same money I could get a new Yoder YS640 tricked out. So do I go with the capacity of the FEC100 or the versatility of the YS640? What would you do?

I'm curious what you mean when you say dabble... It looks like you have a couple WSM's and a OTG so you have both smoking and grilling covered. If you want something what will do it all, I would go with the Yoder (unless like Gore said you are married and need more capacity... Or invite the both of us over frequently for dinner). :mrgreen:

Definitely the 640. Way more cool things you can do with one. The FEC is a great oven and great for competition but the 640 is the King of Backyard Pellet Poopers IMHO.

Either way, the YS640 will have you covered. You can get a second shelf and bring it up to 1070 square inches, but I know that is still 400+ less than the FEC.

The FEC does use less pellets due to being insulated, but you live in the backyard of Lumberjack pellets (what I use) and cookinpellets. So inexpensive, quality pellets are not hard for you to come by at all.

At the end of the day, both are great smokers, but the YS640 can do so much more. Indirect cooking from 150*-500+*, direct grilling over a flame with a set of GrillGrates at temps up to 800+*, direct over-the-fire griddle cooking, the YS640 can just plain do more. They are built like a tank, the customer support you get from Yoder is second to none (I'm sure Cookshack CS is great also, I have no experience), look cool as heck, and encourage you to cook more. There are things I cook on my YS640 I would never cook on any of my other cookers, and I have a few.

I know the FEC has it's place, and it is a very good cooker. But coming from experience here, the Yoder will not let you down, it will keep more money in your bank account for food, accessories, etc, and you will cook non stop on the thing.

Are you looking for the unit to be strictly a smoker?

This is really the question that you need to answer for your self. If you just want a smoker, the FEC all the way. It has larger capacity, it is insulated so it uses much less pellets and it cooks consistently in all sorts of weather.

It you want to grill, too, the the Yoder is the way to go out of those choices.

But, if you want to expand your search, look at the Fast Eddy pellet grills and the Memphis line of pellet grills/smokers as well. I love my Memphis Pro.

This is really the question that you need to answer for your self. If you just want a smoker, the FEC all the way. It has larger capacity, it is insulated so it uses much less pellets and it cooks consistently in all sorts of weather.

It you want to grill, too, the the Yoder is the way to go out of those choices.

But, if you want to expand your search, look at the Fast Eddy pellet grills and the Memphis line of pellet grills/smokers as well. I love my Memphis Pro.

Sage words of advice from he who has, by my count, 21 cookers. :thumb:

What he really means to say is get all of them. He who dies with the most cookers wins!

What he really means to say is get all of them. He who dies with the most cookers wins!

Absolutely! :becky:

Have you seen the YS1320? I *NEED* one of those! :thumb:

Not around anymore. Wait for the YS1500, it's a YS1320 but 6" longer!! :thumb:

If I had placed my Yoder order 2 days earlier, I would own a YS1320 now. However I love my YS640, and I would have been peeved if I had got the YS1320 and a bigger one came out a few months later. So I made a good move at the time IMO because I wanted the pellet pit and the discontinued Yoder firepit/cooker, I really love that thing and I'm glad I got it. But, now I want a YS1500. :becky:

It never ends. :tsk:

Yes and yes. Seen one, heck, I've cooked on one. :thumb:

And hell yes, the 1500 will be super badass!!

The other thing you need is one of their charcoal grills know as "The Flat Top." Just ask Andy or Sean (Muzzlebrake) about them. And don't even get me started talking about the Kingman and the ultimate beast, the Frontiersman.

Not around anymore. Wait for the YS1500, it's a YS1320 but 6" longer!! :thumb:

If I had placed my Yoder order 2 days earlier, I would own a YS1320 now. However I love my YS640, and I would have been peeved if I had got the YS1320 and a bigger one came out a few months later. So I made a good move at the time IMO because I wanted the pellet pit and the discontinued Yoder firepit/cooker, I really love that thing and I'm glad I got it. But, now I want a YS1500. :becky:

It never ends. :tsk:

DARN YOU! DARN YOU! DARN YOU!

:becky:

Yes and yes. Seen one, heck, I've cooked on one. :thumb:

And hell yes, the 1500 will be super badass!!

The other thing you need is one of their charcoal grills know as "The Flat Top." Just ask Andy or Sean (Muzzlebrake) about them.

I want one of those superbad! I can't wait to see one at the factory next week.

DARN YOU! DARN YOU! DARN YOU!

:becky:
:becky: BBQ temptation

I want one of those superbad! I can't wait to see one at the factory next week.

I'm jealous.

If they let you take pictures, send hem to me :-D

I really don't need one, but they just look so cool :)

'Dog, since you've cooked on a 1320, what do you thin about using just one 1500 for a KCBS comp? It seems like there would be enough room if thing were timed right. You would probably need room for two briskets, two butts and at least three racks of ribs at one time just in case.

Sorry for the slight hijack :-D

I'm jealous.

If they let you take pictures, send hem to me :-D

I really don't need one, but they just look so cool :)

'Dog, since you've cooked on a 1320, what do you thin about using just one 1500 for a KCBS comp? It seems like there would be enough room if thing were timed right. You would probably need room for two briskets, two butts and at least three racks of ribs at one time just in case.

Sorry for the slight hijack :-D
I know I'm not BD, but I think that is the very reason they are going to the YS1500. The YS1320 was just a bit to small for some comp cooks, so they added the 6" to make it the YS1500. I hope I'll find out more for sure next week, but that is my thought.

I know I'm not BD, but I think that is the very reason they are going to the YS1500. The YS1320 was just a bit to small for some comp cooks, so they added the 6" to make it the YS1500. I hope I'll find out more for sure next week, but that is my thought.

Thanks! I asked 'Dog since he had cooked on a 1320, but I'll take answers from anyone :-D

Thanks for the replies! My thoughts are leaning towards the FEC, I cook with pans so I like its size, and the insulation factor for winter. With the kids schedules, I also like the set it and forget it operation so to speak even though I feel a little guilty going this route!

I have had both. No problems with either unit. I think the Yoder is more versatile, but I needed more room and an NSF cooker. They both put out great product. My Yoder was a pellet hog though. And if the YS1500 was available, I may have gone that route.

Back