Foodsaver vacuum bags

N

njmike

I read someplace on the web, and can’t find it again, about cooking some extra when the smoker is fired up and then using a foodsaver vacuum bag to freeze the meat. Then when it’s time to eat it, weekdays, take the bag out of the freezer and place it in a pot of boiling water and heat it up that way.

Has anybody here done this? The question I have is how long do you heat it up. Since the meat is in a vacuum sealed bag, you can’t easily tell if it’s done, and once you open the bag your done.

Thanks

Michael

kapndsl said:
So what's the normal boil/reheat time?
Mike,
I use 15-20 minutes at full boil if starting with frozen Q.
TIM

Tim,

Not to be a pain :D but how much Q for 15-20 minutes. I'd hate to open the bag to only learn that I farked up and it's still cold.

Thanks

Michael

PS I promise I won't beat this into the ground that bad :)

Tim,

Not to be a pain but how much Q for 15-20 minutes. I'd hate to open the bag to only learn that I farked up and it's still cold.
Mike,
Ya ain't a pain and I ain't being funny when I say "a bag full".
Those bags hold a pint to a gallon of stuff and if ya boil them 15 + minutes, they will be hot and juicy.
If, for some reason it is not- just Nuke it for 30 seconds. But, ya really can't "over boil" either. Just hot and moist--just like it went in.
TIM

If it's still cold, ain't ya got a microwave??

I just put my leftover Q in Ziplock bags and freeze. When we want Q, we nuke it, sauce it and eat it. No complaints from my family yet. Of course, leftover Q at this house doesn't survive more than 2 weeks.

Back