To Stuff or Not To Stuff...your Turkey?

sfbbqguy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been getting a little heat about not wanting to stuff this year's Turkey so I wanted to ask the Brethren...

Do you stuff? Why or Why not?

I don't want to stuff as I plan on brining, cooking on UDS and placing aromatics in cavity and I don't want to wory about stuffing getting to 165* when bird is already done.

I prefer to baked my bread stuffing separately.

I usually stuff the bird cavity with various cut-up fruits and herbs.

I never stuff. The bird cooks much quicker without the cavity stuffed and no worries about the stuffing being in the danger zone too long. Also, I prefer stuffing cooked in a baking pan anyway as I like a little crust on it.

I brine my bird, then stuff it before placing her on the ol' Weber kettle. I make sure the stuffing gets to 165° and the bird still comes out juicy! No boxed stuffing allowed in this house either...my wife makes the best! Been doing it this way for many many moons now!

^^^^^
What he said..

I keep it simple.. I put chopped up apples, onion, garlic and some raisins(and any other fruit that needs using from the fruit bowl) in the cavity along with some fresh sage leaves, bay, thyme, oregano, etc..

I DO mix a small amount of stuffing, or a slice of italian bread in there to retain the liquid and moisture, but its packed very loose(not at all actually) and I dont care what temps its at.

Stuffing gets made and baked seperatly and I will swipe some of the drippings from the tukey to add to stuffing.

and I hate to admit, but of all the stuffings... I like stove top the best and doctor it up with sausage, almonds, etc..

Ditto.

Although . . . in my pre-smoking era I used to prepare stuffing and put it into the bird HOT just before placing the brid in the oven. I believe that it helped to cook the bird from the inside as it was cooking from the outside and helped in keeping the turkey moist.

Since I started smoking them, no one wants oven cooked anymore.

Oh yeah.. forgot about the onion quarters and garlic cloves... like Phil mentioned.

To Tim's point, another option is to bake the stuffing separately and then stuff the bird AFTER the bird is cooked.. This may create the appearance your guests are expecting but give you comfort in knowing the stuffing was not cooked in the cavity.

i really don't know, im just jealous that you guys get to smoke your turkeys. really hoping i get to this year.

These are some good options.

May have to do what Phil mentioned and put a small amount of LOOSE stuffing in just to keep the peace in the house.

I don't stuff. It allows my White Castle Stuffing to get a little crispy that way....

Attachments

• White Castle.jpg
    White Castle.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 127

Yeppers!!!
I never stuff. We all like the stuffing a bit crispy at the edges anyway. I usually half/quarter a lemon, orange, onion, apple (combination of whatever'll fit) and then put thyme & rosemary sprigs under the legs, wings and in cavity before I truss it all up tight.

Mmmmmmm....turkey gooooooood!!

DO NOT STUFF YOUR BIRD~!!!!! im just like the rest of the guys, throw some onions, carrots, garlic, apples in there. Oven baked all the way!!

I don't stuff. It allows my White Castle Stuffing to get a little crispy that way....

White Castle Stuffing as in the the little square sliders? Interesting sounds good with all the onions and all. Hmmm...........

We make 3 turkeys (big crowd) - 2 smoked (no stuffing!) 1 large one in the oven stuffed (I usually prebake the stuffing some before putting it in the bird)

Main reason I don't stuff the bird is everyone of us loves that cornbread dressing and that bird wouldn't hold near enough for our crowd. I think the turkey and the dressing comes out better cooked separate. Here's how we do ours...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52767&highlight=dressing

We do ours a alot like this, but I also make a fattie or 2 the day before using JD sage sausage. We crumble that up and fold into the cornbread mix before baking

Back