Gettysburg vs. Wildwood, NJ

tdwalker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Both of these contest held this past weekend. Four hours apart.

Why did you choose to participate in one vs. the other?

We choose Gettysburg because it was closer to home, less expensive, & more space.

I have participated in both.

I chose Gettysburg because it was a two day contest as opposed to three days. While it was almost equidistant for us between Gettysburg and Wildwood, I preferred the open space, easy-in/easy-out, and not sitting in three hours of shore traffic on a Sunday night.

I think the contest could have been better organized but I also feel the organizer had too many things going on at one time for a first year event. By no means would I call Gettysburg a disaster but think a lot of team frustration could have been avoided with timely communication. Next year I will participate in Gettysburg over Wildwood.

Wildwood. Closer to home and got to go to the beach. Brought the rod and went fishing off the rocks.

Gettysburg as it was much closer. And yes, there were several issues that need to be corrected, and I believe the organizer will do so for next year.
Sunday was a bigger struggle as the Dan, the organizer was unable to attend due to be in a car accident. A few KCSB judges stayed and assisted with the ICS chili event and it ended up going very well.

We did Wildwood. Farther from where I live now, but it's a good chance to go back to South Jersey where I grew up and see some of the family. Not a huge fan of the 3 day events, but Friday is pretty chill and easy to load in if you get there early (before 1pm). Plus you can't beat the view from the seawall. I missed some of my BBQ friends who went to Gettysburg this year instead.

Gettysburg. Cheaper, closer and my family connection to the battle was a big draw. Also, the 20' x 20' limit for Wildwood would've knocked us out for the trailer. After competing, I have some observations on how Gettysburg was run, but that's a different issue than why we chose one over the other.

Wildwood is a cluster ****, for a place that has gone on for so many years they dont have their **** together either. I didnt go to gettysburg, because three hours from me in troy NY there is one of the best organized comps in the Northeast.

Everyone keeps saying cheaper. How much was Gettysburg to get in? The payout was only $3450.00. Wildwood was $250.00 to get in with a payout of $9200.00

Everyone keeps saying cheaper. How much was Gettysburg to get in? The payout was only $3450.00. Wildwood was $250.00 to get in with a payout of $9200.00

$125, we paid $50 for the non-KCBS and ended up with the big guys.

Yep we paid $125 to get in, finished 4th overall and went home with $25 in cash. Actually we went home with no cash because I spent it on a chili dog and beers at Appalachian Brewing on Saturday night.

Wildwood is a cluster ****, for a place that has gone on for so many years they dont have their **** together either. I didnt go to gettysburg, because three hours from me in troy NY there is one of the best organized comps in the Northeast.

Unless you're talking about loading in and loading out, I would have to disagree. We've done Wildwood the past 2 years and found no problems whatsoever in the organizing. Communication was great, everything went off on time, no problems with power or water. The strict 20x20 spots are a little disappointing, but considering they are cramming 65+ teams into that parking lot, it could and should be way worse than it is. They must be doing something right if there is a waiting list every year. It was an added advantage for us to make an extended weekend at the Shore with the family this week. We'll be back again next year.

To each his/her own, I suppose.

Back