MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Default I pulled my brisket to early :(

I did a 13# choice brisket last night. Rubbed with Big Butz Cow Pow, 12 hours, 45 minutes on my UDS at steady 250*. No foil, no fuss. Everyone thought it was good, but the flat was dry as a bone.

I started probing at around 10 hours when the thermometer read 195*. The point was warm partially melted butter, but the flat was tough. I then ignored the thermometer. I let it go another hour before checking again, and then another hour, then 30 minutes. Each time it started to slide easier and easier. At the end, I had doubts but I convinced myself the thermopen was sliding as good as it was going to get. I pulled it, foiled it, and let it rest for probably two hours.

When it came out of the foil, no juice. The point was fatty and moist, but the flat was dry dry dry. It wasn't falling apart on the edges, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't cooked long enough.

I've had brisket nirvanna. There is nothing better than really great brisket, imho. But this, while it may have been good, was so disappointing to me.

When am I going to learn the patience required for brisket?

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Well at least you are able to analyze your results and make a pretty good assumption of what happened. Believe me we've all been there, Bro. Years ago my Dad taught me the meaning of "probe tender" and it still took a while to "get it" on my own briskets. Just hang in there and make some brisket chilie with your latest attempt. When you finally get it you'll be glad you stuck with it!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Will32Rod
Full Fledged Farker

It could have been that paticular brisket was going to turn out that way.
I have cooked several briskets together, same weight, same grade, cooked the same way, and one turn out dry or tough.
Then there is the foil debate, I always foil at 160 and add broth, apple juice, coffee, or even water. Then start probing at 190.
Depending on the brisket I have taken them to 210 before the would probe easily.
Will32Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Warthog
is one Smokin' Farker

If you let it cook 2.5 hours after it hit 195 it was way over cooked. I cook my briskets in the uds. I foil em at 170 and remove at 198. Wrap in a towel and let it sit in the cooler for 2 to 4 hours. They always come out very juicy. To me the point always tastes the best. I think it is the fat going through it.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

The brisket I did over the weekend was over-done. It was a 10# I picked up at the butcher shop. While cooking at 225 I started probing at 10 hours no where near ready. At 14 hours the point was like butter but the flat had a way to go. I pulled it at 16 hours cut the point off for burnt ends and wrapped the flat. When I went to cut the flat it just fell apart. It was juicy pulled beef at this time. Tasted good, just not what you want when you are doing a brisket. Much to my wife's delight the burnt ends turned out wonderful.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMojo View Post
Well at least you are able to analyze your results and make a pretty good assumption of what happened. Believe me we've all been there, Bro. Years ago my Dad taught me the meaning of "probe tender" and it still took a while to "get it" on my own briskets. Just hang in there and make some brisket chilie with your latest attempt. When you finally get it you'll be glad you stuck with it!
Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah. It is just frustrating. I felt I nailed my first brisket, since then it has been several undercooked and one overcooked.

I've had a request for another brisket in 3 weeks. We'll try again. I'm tempted to overcook that one intentionally, just so I can probe it all three stages.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
If you let it cook 2.5 hours after it hit 195 it was way over cooked. I cook my briskets in the uds. I foil em at 170 and remove at 198. Wrap in a towel and let it sit in the cooler for 2 to 4 hours. They always come out very juicy. To me the point always tastes the best. I think it is the fat going through it.
I don't think you can compare foiled versus non-foiled times. Totally different. Foil really speeds things up. An hour in foil is probably worth 1.5 to 2 hours without foil.

My experience and everything that I read was that if you overcook it, it is dry and crumbly. The edges are all falling apart. If you undercook it, it is dry, not falling apart because all the fat and collagen is still present holding things together and slightly tough. I would have taken photos, but I was serving somewhere else.

I have nothing against foil. I'm about ready to try foil if I have one more brisket come out dry. But, I've gotten it right once without foil. Others get it right without foil. I know it can be done without foil. It's not about being pure. I like no foil, because I put my brisket on at 9:00 pm and don't have to think about it until somewhere between 8:00 am to 10:00 am. I don't want to have to get up in the morning to foil.

And the brisket was an IBP Choice full packer. I really don't think it was the meat. I think it is just me.

Maybe I'll do Donnie's Nigh Train experiment prior to the next brisket...

Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i don't really have alot of experience with briskets, in fact the only time i cook them is for competition, but i have been thinking about using a flavor infused oil as the liquid in the foil. this workds pretty good with a pork dish i make (not bbq). has anyone ever tried this?
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote