Is it better to choke the exhaust or the air intake on these UDS when the temp is to hi to lower it?

Always start with the intake. Better to have more exhaust and less intake than more intake and less exhaust.

Hi rtg

I don't think you ever should choke the exhaust. Unless you want to kill the fire ofcourse :wink:

I allways have my exhaust all open, and I'm just adjusting the air intakes, to control my temp.

Is it better to choke the exhaust or the air intake on these UDS when the temp is to hi to lower it?

If your wanting to drop from say 400 degrees to 250, shut the drum down with both intake and exhaust. If your drum is sealed pretty good it only takes 10 to 15 minutes at most to bring it down, reopen the exhaust and the intake to what you think it will need to get there. And adjust from there, exhaust full open unless you have one like mine where I need to adjust the exhaust for what temps I'm running. A 2 inch opening is a minimum for exhaust.

I have three 3/4" exhaust holes. Never had the need for more exhaust holes.

Have three 3/4" intakes and normally only need two open when cooking.

Have a 9 lb butt on it now. Started at 4:30 this morning. The UDS temp hasn't moved but 5 to 10 degrees all day. Amazing how well they hold a temp.

I have three 3/4" exhaust holes. Never had the need for more exhaust holes.

Have three 3/4" intakes and normally only need two open when cooking.

Have a 9 lb butt on it now. Started at 4:30 this morning. The UDS temp hasn't moved but 5 to 10 degrees all day. Amazing how well they hold a temp.

I am truly amazed at the flavor and the speed of the Q that comes off the UDS...It is my and my wife's favorite smoker over our others Pellet and Propane and charcoal. :thumb:

Is anyone grilling on their UDS? I've read a couple of places about it, but haven't seen any photos. I just built a new fire basket and I started thinking about how I could grill on my UDS. I set the fire basket on the bottom grate and set the top grate on top of the fire basket. I can't put the lid on at this height, but it looks like I'll just have to add some bolts so I can lower my bottom grate as needed. Or get a cheap kettle lid if I can find one.

Another thought I had is that I can flip my fire basket over and get the coals very close to the grate if needed. The fire grate sits about 4.5" from the bottom of the basket right now.

image.jpg

1st uds

Picked up a food grade 55 gal drum that had blackberry puree in it for my 1st uds. Burned it out, used a grinder with a wire brush, high temp primer, high temp semi gloss black. Went with 4 3/4" nipples and 1 ball valve. Made a thermo port out of threaded lamp rod. Garage door handles. Weber charcoal grate with expanded metal and pizza tray attached for ashes. Went with 2 cooking grates 4.5" and 11" from the top. A diffuser will go on the 3rd weber rack above the charcoal basket and will use a pizza pan or pizza stone. Picked up 3 weber kettle exhaust dampers for the lid. I over burned the lid a little and it warped a little. Anyway to fix it?

I have sat my charcoal basket on my second rack down for grilling before. My basket is just short enough that I can fit my top grate back in place the way it is supposed to be. It works great.

Now that I have my Big Poppa Smoker Drum, if I know I am going to be doing some reverse searing or grilling at all I will go ahead and use it instead of my other UDS.

I am truly amazed at the flavor and the speed of the Q that comes off the UDS...It is my and my wife's favorite smoker over our others Pellet and Propane and charcoal. :thumb:

It's the smoker that the other smoker manufacturers hope you never learn about.

elkhorn98, you might get lucky and beat it back in shape with a rubber mallet. Or get it pretty hot again and lay it on top of the drum to cool.

Hi everyone. Glad to see the topic is still going strong. Sorry to bug you all with this question, but can find a straight answer/idea.
I have a narrow basket (diametor 37 cm). It is really hard finding anything wider here in Italy. My problem is the fat dripings. Driping on the basket is fine, but when the grill is full it drips on the outter edges. After a few cooks there is quite a bit of liquit at the bottem.

I was thinking that I need to make a wider basket to catch more drippings, or cut out a big circule from croard and cover it with foilly and place that under my basket. But then it will probally just run off when I try to take it out .

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

You can use a large pizza pan. We use a 17"/43cm one and it works fine. Surely you can get them that size there.

Matt

I have a narrow basket (diametor 37 cm). It is really hard finding anything wider here in Italy. My problem is the fat dripings. Driping on the basket is fine, but when the grill is full it drips on the outter edges. After a few cooks there is quite a bit of liquit at the bottem.
Any Ideas ?
Thanks
I use the ashes left over from the cook to absorb any grease drippings. Might work for you. Pretty hard to get a good photo down at the bottom of the barrel.

I use the ashes left over from the cook to absorb any grease drippings. Might work for you. Pretty hard to get a good photo down at the bottom of the barrel.

Hi. That is what I am currently doing. But after a few cooks it gets mess and thick down there. Maybe I should not be so lazy and clean it say after 2-3 cooks

Hi. That is what I am currently doing. But after a few cooks it gets mess and thick down there. Maybe I should not be so lazy and clean it say after 2-3 cooks

Yeah I found if I let it go for 2-3 cooks, I have to scrape it to get it loose. For me, I now always clean after each cook or before setting up for the next one. Much easier on me in the long run.

Back